Climbing Sticks

BDS05

I'm looking at plunging into the hanging stand world.

Which sticks do y'all use? Pros and cons? Bulky, compact, heavy, light, easy to pack, etc..

Thanks in advance..

de novo

The Summit Buck steps are the best I've used. I have never used the Lw's.

From reviews I've seen, the Summits are more comfortable but also more cumbersome and the LW's are lighter. So I would go with LW if I was going to move the set up frequently or carry it long distances.

BDS05

Timberdoodle said:
Best I have ever used are the lone wolf sticks. Very well thought out and quality made!

I looked at them but man they're expensive. To feel comfortable, I'd want four at the minimum possibly five.

Timberdoodle

BSisco5 said:
Timberdoodle said:
Best I have ever used are the lone wolf sticks. Very well thought out and quality made!

I looked at them but man they're expensive. To feel comfortable, I'd want four at the minimum possibly five.

I agree they are expensive. I bought the set and one extra about six years ago and they are great. Light, solid, adjust to any situation. They level well and the steps flip from side to side.

I do not own stock in them, i promise. I have been concidering investing in one more set, though. Best bow setup I have is the four climbing sticks and the lock on by lone wolf. You can set up in anything with that combo!

String Music

I've researched and tried them all. Climbing sticks are either steel (cheaper) or aluminum (expensive). If you want a mobile setup, you need the aluminum ones. If you are going to leave your stand up the whole season, get steel ones.

I currently own a set of Muddys and a set of LWs. After using both, I use a combination of 3 LWs and 1 Muddy. I use the Muddy as my top stick b/c it has dual steps and makes it easier to hang a stand and get on/off stand. Also, if I'm using a tree saddle, I use the dual step on the Muddy as a platform.

However, I prefer the LWs for a couple of reasons. First, the Muddys are just too short and require 5 sticks to get to my preferred height. Second, each stick weighs the same, but Muddys are 20 inches and LWs are 32 inches. Also, the LWs pack together more compactly.

The only issue w/ the LWs outside of the single-step system (which is why I use the Muddy at the top), is the loud buckle on the strap. This issue is solved by the inner tube of a bicycle tire (found at Walmart or Target). Make a couple of cuts, slide it on buckle, and the buckles are no longer an issue.

I have researched the wiz out of mobile setups, feel free to IM me anymore questions you might have.

I also went back and forth btw a Muddy Hunter stand and the LW Alpha. I went with the Alpha b/c it was a better fit for what I would be using for.

Here is my Lone Wolf Alpha with the steps mentioned above strapped on. This setup weighs as much as a climber, but is much quieter to carry in and setup. Also, I can hunt out of ANY tree with this setup. I also added adhesive stealth strips to make the setup even quieter.

0922011257.jpg

Much more compact than a climber:

0922011303.jpg

bow-hunter

Take a look at the leverage steps. Cabelas has started carrying them. I have a set and really like them. They are comparable to the Lone Wolf as far as size and weight but $80 vs $140.

HowattHS

I have three lone wolfs that I use with my tree saddle. They are great. They are too expensive to get another stick, but u can still get 18-20ft if you really stretch it. I used to rock climb so it doesn't bother me.

catsbackr

That is a GREAT looking set up.

But, with 1 Lone Wolf lock on ($240), 3 LW sticks ($180) and 1 Muddy stick ($40), that's $500 with shipping!

String Music

catsbackr said:
That is a GREAT looking set up.

But, with 1 Lone Wolf lock on ($240), 3 LW sticks ($180) and 1 Muddy stick ($40), that's $500 with shipping!

I bought everything off of archerytalk.com

I bought my Alpha brand new with footrests, backpack straps, ez hook, and shipped to my door for $250. You can easily find a set of LW sticks for $100 on there. It's actually less expensive to by this setup than to by 4-5 lock-ons and sticks.

DntBrnDPig

String, I have been looking at the Muddy's and LW sticks as well. I really like the way Muddy's attach to the tree but I like a lot of the LW features as well.

One of big complaints about my climbing sticks and hang-ons is once I have them up, i am SUPER reluctant to move them because of the hassle. How easy is it to setup?

Do you set this up every time you come in and out?

If it was left out in the woods I'd be afraid of having too much invested in it to walk off.

String Music

DntBrnDPig said:
String, I have been looking at the Muddy's and LW sticks as well. I really like the way Muddy's attach to the tree but I like a lot of the LW features as well.

One of big complaints about my climbing sticks and hang-ons is once I have them up, i am SUPER reluctant to move them because of the hassle. How easy is it to setup?

Do you set this up every time you come in and out?

If it was left out in the woods I'd be afraid of having too much invested in it to walk off.

Let me preface this by saying I have used just about every stand out there. It's nice to have several cheap lock-ons spread over the property, but they definately are a pain to hang. I have a pulley system I use to hang my permanent sets due to how cumbersome they are to hang.

With that being said, both Muddy and LW systems are much, much easier to hang and take down. With some practice, you will be putting up and taking down either system in no time. I'm faster with this system than I am with a climber.

Even though I hunt private land, I still enjoy going into areas with a stand on my back. Having the ability to hunt out of any tree is a huge advantage.

As for my stand, I went with the LW Alpha over the Muddy Hunter for a couple reasons. LW stands are hands down the quitest and most mobile stand on the market. They are dead silent even in the coldest environments. Also, the Muddy Hunter attaches to the tree with a noisy ratchet strap. I only have to use one strap on my LW and it does not have a ratchet.

As for the sticks, I predominately use 4 LWs now. The Muddys are just too short and don't stack as compactly as the LWs. Although I like the rope and dual-step systems, I prefer the longer and more compact LW sticks.

In most cases, I put up and take down my set on every hunt. I usually take my time setting up, but I can take it down in less than 5 minutes. Either stick is incredibly easy to take down.

Latest posts