Food Plots Clethodim mixing advice

JAD

I just got a gallon of Clethodim and a galion of Preference surfactant to spray the grass that's choking my clover plots. The labels address mixing rates in terms of acres. I'm mixing small amounts for smaller plots. Does anyone have an ounce per gallon of water rate to use? Thanks.

MickThompson

You need to know how much water your sprayer puts out per acre. Too little, and you won't get enough clethodim down to kill the grasses.

Are you using a boom or boomless nozzle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoon

My sprayer is 12 gallon per acre, so I use pint of clethodim, quart of 2-4DB and pint of crop oil to kill all grass and broadleaf

JAD

My sprayer is a 15 gal ATV boomless sprayer. Not sure how many gallons per acre, I'd have to do some figuring. Many times in the past, I just used 3 oz of glyphosate per gallon of water, a shot of dish soap, and went over an area slow enough to get a good heavy mist on it, and always got a good kill. I was planning the same strategy with the clethodim, but not sure of the mix. I have 7 small plots to do, ranging in size from 1/4 acre to 3/4 acre.

MickThompson

The rate is absolutely critical. You should be able to find a table from the manufacturer of the boomless nozzle that tells you the speed and pressure setting for X gallons per acre.

I wouldn't want to spray less than 15 gallons per acre, so if you can figure out speed and pressure, you add the appropriate amount of clethodim to treat your problem weeds on an acre.

tellico4x4

spoon":n00c852v said:
My sprayer is 12 gallon per acre, so I use pint of clethodim, quart of 2-4DB and pint of crop oil to kill all grass and broadleaf

Tank mixing the cleth & 24DB? I've thought about it several times but never could find any real good info to convince me to do it...Being able to mix would cut down on number of trips over clover for sure.
With the nutsedge problem I've had past few years, I did mix Basagran with 24DB & crop oil this year, & got a great kill on the sedge & all other broadleaf. It was probably the best broadleaf kill I've ever gotten in my clover.

spoon

tellico4x4":136lxrux said:
spoon":136lxrux said:

Tank mixing the cleth & 24DB? I've thought about it several times but never could find any real good info to convince me to do it...Being able to mix would cut down on number of trips over clover for sure.

Been mixing them for about 6-7 years

7mmWSM

spoon":3sukx6sd said:

Do you use the 2-4DB this time of year on clover?

spoon

7mmWSM":11s42pyy said:
spoon":11s42pyy said:

Do you use the 2-4DB this time of year on clover?

Yes as long as there aren't any cotton fields within 2 miles

Hunter 257W

I did mine with a 3 gallon hand sprayer this Spring using about 8 or 10 ounces of Clethodime with the 3 gallons of water. I used a 15 ounce soft drink can with the top cut off for a measuring cup. It killed the grass graveyard dead. This was just in one plot though which was only about 1/4 acre.

spoon

MickThompson":3hcgqiiq said:
SKFOOTER":3hcgqiiq said:
3 to 6 ounces of Clethodim per gallon of water is a good mixing rate for grass in a clover plot.

This is seriously too hot. I put 3 tea spoons per gallon and it does all I need it to.

I wouldn't use more than 1.5 oz per gallon

Latest posts