City pond trout

Cardinalskyhawk

Our city pond was stocked with trout this week and the young uns are driving me crazy to take them. What are some tips and tricks to help them out? I've heard power baits and corn for bait but have no idea if they relate to structure, deep water, shallow.....any pointers would be great! By the way, first time to post but have lurked for several years.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Number 1 and above all fluorocarbon line.
1/8th ounce yellow rooster tail.
That's my go to presentation.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Cardinalskyhawk":toil1p9o said:
Cool, thanks! Why the fluorocarbon line?
They can't see it as well as mono.
Best tip I got when I started trying to catch stock trout.

catman529

Don't worry about fluoro for the stockers. Just use light line that can cast a light bait. Try with a bobber and try with just a split shot. Use either canned sweet corn, or PowerBait Power Eggs, if you can find them. If you want a little more challenge then Trout Magnets are one of my favorite lures to use for trout or panfish.

peytoncreekhunter

Second that on using flurocarbon line. Caught lots more trout when I started using flurocarbon leaders instead of mono leaders on my fly rods.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Dbllunger":ez1gcnce said:
Nightcrawlers are deadly on trout. It was my go to when catching stockers. Light line and split shot with small hook

I always forget about those.
Buddy of mine that took me to the Caney for the first time that was his go to bait. They definitely work. :super:

Never thought to try them on the stockers.

Cardinalskyhawk

The only day the kids didn't have some kind of practice or game was Saturday and it didn't work out for them. I guess a 15-20 mph North wind and 38 degrees didn't make for ideal fishing conditions...this Saturday looks like a high of 55, I'm going to grab a bunch of these baits suggested, drop them off and tell them not to call for a ride home until they have a limit!! We shall see how that works out.. thanks for the help!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
From your screen name I assume you are going to Martin. If so, here is what I know.

If you pull into the parking lot on the West of the pond directly in front of the lot and just a touch North of the basketball goal is a very subtle point, that is a good spot.
Also to the South, on the last point where it starts to narrow up going towards the bridge is usually real good and then about half way from there to the bridge.
Normally by the time I fish those spots about 30 minutes per I either have a limit or I am not catching squat and leave. :)

I got a buddy that said the big point to the East of the parking lot, across the pond, where it makes the L is good also but I have never fished there and if I did I must not have caught any because I don't remember it. :)

I have tried staying in one spot for the entire trip and I have tried constantly casting and moving looking for them. LIke throw once or twice then move, repeat. The most productive I have found is stay in one spot about 30 minutes then move and repeat.
Dunno if they are in packs and move together or what but I always seem to catch 2 or 3 then nothing else till I move.

Lastly, if you aren't seeing them pop the top of the water every once in a while you ain't gonna catch squat.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Cardinalskyhawk

Yeah Ruger, I am in Martin. I figured you would deduce my locale by my screen name. I have lurked around here for several years and kinda feel like the dude on the Andy Griffith episode that wasn't from Mayberry but took the Mayberry paper for years. He knew a lot about everyone but nobody knew who he was and he creeped them out.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Cardinalskyhawk":2anb5ljr said:
Yeah Ruger, I am in Martin. I figured you would deduce my locale by my screen name. I have lurked around here for several years and kinda feel like the dude on the Andy Griffith episode that wasn't from Mayberry but took the Mayberry paper for years. He knew a lot about everyone but nobody knew who he was and he creeped them out.

LOL we have lots of creeps on here.
Most of them post alot though. ;)

Cardinalskyhawk

Thanks for all of the help, they managed to catch a limit today. And y'all can add cigarette butts to the list of baits to catch stockers. The TWRA survey lady came by and asked us to fill out a survey. I was asking her some general questions about the program. She says they do all kinds of research on them after they have been released, one thing they check is to see what they have been eating and cigarette butts were the most common item found in their bellies...

Smo

Cardinalskyhawk":2x0o47ra said:
Thanks for all of the help, they managed to catch a limit today. And y'all can add cigarette butts to the list of baits to catch stockers. The TWRA survey lady came by and asked us to fill out a survey. I was asking her some general questions about the program. She says they do all kinds of research on them after they have been released, one thing they check is to see what they have been eating and cigarette butts were the most common item found in their bellies...

Oh Man! I love smoked trout! :party:

LOL

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Cardinalskyhawk":11u6ko11 said:
Well I will be.
Never would have thought it.

Latest posts