Christmas Present Opinions

JandSCattleCo

Ok folks, I took the wife to a local archery shop yesterday and let her shoot the Mathews Mission Menace. SHE LOVED IT! I'm wanting to get her one for christmas, and have found this one one EBay. I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. I actually live close enough that I can pick it up from the guy and not have to pay shipping. Between the bow, Tru-Glo sight and arrows, what do you all think its worth? Should I do this or just buy her a new one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mathews-Mission-Men ... 500wt_1156

PS-I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules if this deals to much with a "Classifieds" type forum.

stik

where did she shoot the bow? that is where i would buy it. the warranty is only good for the original owner so if it breaks, it's yours. these types of deals are what was the demise of eagles wings archery. support your local pro shop.

TheAirMan

I'm not sure what a new one would run. I wouldn't figure a new on would be all that much more than the one on ebay. For the difference I would but a new one for the warranty.

knightrider

i think its pretty fair deal,im not supporting local shop when i can by it cheaper elsewhere,i do my own bow work so i dont have to fool with the local jackwagons

stik

knightrider said:
i think its pretty fair deal,im not supporting local shop when i can by it cheaper elsewhere,i do my own bow work so i dont have to fool with the local jackwagons

those local "jackwagons" are the lifeblood of the archery industry. there has been a serious drop off in interest around here since EWA closed.

knightrider

not my lifeblood, got tired of people screwing up my stuff, not throwing off on ewa never dealt with them but you cant get anything done right around here so i learned how to do it myself.im gonna stretch my dollar as far as i can and by the best deal. and yes here they are'jackwagons'

TheAirMan

IMO, the "jackwagons" knightrider is talking about are a main reason people buy online. If a pro shop would know its stuff, take pride in its work and make sure its done right, not talk down to people, not try to sell people against something they want, and not act like you are bothering them if you come in and want something done maybe people would buy more from them.

I'm not saying EW was like that, I never was there. However, I would say 8 to 9 out of 10 are like that. At least in someways. I had my fill years ago and learned to do my own work. I am glad I don't have to rely on anyone to do my work.

knightrider

TheAirMan said:
IMO, the "jackwagons" knightrider is talking about are a main reason people buy online. If a pro shop would know its stuff, take pride in its work and make sure its done right, not talk down to people, not try to sell people against something they want, and not act like you are bothering them if you come in and want something done maybe people would buy more from them.

I'm not saying EW was like that, I never was there. However, I would say 8 to 9 out of 10 are like that. At least in someways. I had my fill years ago and learned to do my own work. I am glad I don't have to rely on anyone to do my work.
hit the nail on the head :grin:

stik

8 to 9 out of 10?? not around here. only one out of however many there are would i describe as that. i will patronize the locals whenever possible even if it cost me a few dollars more.

i would still recommend buying new(online or whereever) for warranty purposes.

JandSCattleCo

Alright folks, this thread went WAY the opposite direction it was meant to go. Adding up the cost that the post is at now compared to buying new and getting the warranty (the reason I was wanting to get this one in first place) has me leaning towards buying the new one.

As for "jackwagons," I went to a shop and had that experience. Thusly I went to a new shop. Prime work at prime prices. They seem glad every time I walk in the door, and were THRILLED at the thought of my wife getting into archery.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

300_mag

UTGrad said:
Archery Den in Franklin is hands down an excellent local shop. Jeremy takes pride in his work and will take time to make sure it is done right, no matter how busy it is.
You are not the first person I have heard say this. I am gonna have to stop in there one day after work and check them out. :)

JandSCattleCo

300_mag said:
UTGrad said:
Archery Den in Franklin is hands down an excellent local shop. Jeremy takes pride in his work and will take time to make sure it is done right, no matter how busy it is.
You are not the first person I have heard say this. I am gonna have to stop in there one day after work and check them out. :)

Took the wife by saturday and let her shoot a Mission Menace. She loved it. Went back today and got the bow, rest, and a release. Jeremy did a great job with her on Saturday and even boxed it up today so I can wrap it. Anybody got any ideas how to wrap a bow so it doesn't look like a bow???? hahaha. I can't wait to see her face Christmas morning! :grin: