Choke tubes

AveryPC

I have a Remington 870 that I have been shooting for years with a lohman marsh max choke(I don't think they are made anymore) it's great for decoying shots but not so good for anything outside of 30 yards. I really would like to get a choke that puts 70%+ shot inside a 30 inch circle at 40 yards to help give me some extra range and decrease the amount of cripples. I have tested the factory modified and it's not quite there somewhere nearer 55%. However, when looking at chokes like the Carlson creamator and pattern master even their "extended range" chokes are more open regarding diameter than the factory modified. Am I missing something here? Is there some science behind the steel and length of the choke that works some magic? Any help would be appreciated.

Remington700

I know there is some science behind the way some chokes manipulate the wad to get a better pattern. I have a pattern master I shoot ducks with. That being said, there are several great chokes out there. Me personally, I really like Trulock chokes for most of my shooting.

Tweeter

Patternmaster is all I ever shot and love them, I have one of the old school x-range in one of my duck guns and the code black goose in one of my A5, I personally have only patterned a turkey gun but have killed a ton of ducks and geese with PM
Iv also heard exceptional things about a Jebs also.

Ed B

I'm in the minority but I like Carlson extended ported long range for everything…seems to pattern really well out of a400 and versamax (backup)

AveryPC

So there is something to the aftermarket chokes? It's not all a gimmick? The price would definitely be worth it if their claims are true.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Switching to extended chokes alone should help ensure you don't have the hard steel shot effectively hammer a flush choke till it becomes stuck. This is what happened to my dad's Stoeger M2000.

It's also more convenient to swap out chokes when all you need is to turn them by hand. Just use choke tube grease and all will be well.

I also see better patterns. I run Carlson's Delta choke set of 3–picked it up on sale for $80 years ago. Very happy with the "Close Range" for large shot sizes, "Mid-Range" for just about anything else. Don't know that I've even used the Long Range except on a dove shoot.

Redfox

Some chokes are worth it and a bunch aren't. I have spent a ton of $$$ putting different combinations on a pattering board. You never know what combination will end up being the best for a particular gun until you test, but….. if I had to make a recommendation in the dark I'd tell you to buy a Muller. Pattern master has never produced on the paper for me but I know some people swear by them.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I like my code black duck choke for most everything shooting 3 inch shells. I rarely shoot 3.5 inch shells, so that's cool with me.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
So there is something to the aftermarket chokes? It's not all a gimmick? The price would definitely be worth it if their claims are true.
Yes. They are worth it. Pay attention to your pattern the next time you try to finish a cripple compared to someone with an aftermarket choke. Very noticeable difference.

AveryPC

I got some Bass pro cards for Christmas and they carry patternmaster, carlson, and kicks. It is between them...I will lose my excuse for missing further shots if I get a new choke tube so on second thought maybe I should stick with what I have. 😂

Displaced_Vol

Most of it is marketing & hype, but you really have to pattern to find out. I think 90% of people would be better off to spend the money on extra rounds of shooting. If you can't shoot your gun it doesn't matter what choke you've got-
Where I find after market chokes most helpful is if you're looking for something in between the common factory offerings. Light modified, improved modified, etc.
I really like an improved modified, extended Carlson with most steel loads & Kent bismuth out of my Affinity.

You also have to be honest about what you're after. Killing a duck at the farthest possible ranges is absolutely not why I duck hunt. It's borderline unethical the way some of these snake oil salesmen push these chokes and loads. A lot, not all, but a lot market base on the "extended range" their product offers which is just catering to sky busters

AveryPC

Most of it is marketing & hype, but you really have to pattern to find out. I think 90% of people would be better off to spend the money on extra rounds of shooting. If you can't shoot your gun it doesn't matter what choke you've got-
Where I find after market chokes most helpful is if you're looking for something in between the common factory offerings. Light modified, improved modified, etc.
I really like an improved modified, extended Carlson with most steel loads & Kent bismuth out of my Affinity.

You also have to be honest about what you're after. Killing a duck at the farthest possible ranges is absolutely not why I duck hunt. It's borderline unethical the way some of these snake oil salesmen push these chokes and loads. A lot, not all, but a lot market base on the "extended range" their product offers which is just catering to sky busters
I agree that shooting at the furthest range is unethical and not what I am looking to do, I should've made that a little more clear. We mainly shoot divers and on the second and third shot they can be out around 40 yards. Recently I've noticed a lot of the ones hit at this range will dive and we are only able to find about half of them. If I am going to take shots at this range, which I'd like to and feel that I can do somewhat consistently, I think a tighter choke would greatly reduce the amount of cripples.

Latest posts