Choke recommendations for Remington Model 870

FLTENNHUNTER1

12 Gauge Remington Model 870 SPS Super Mag Max Gobbler

Came with super full turkey choke but I would like to try something new. Suggestions?

TiminTN

FLTENNHUNTER1":h4eodqtk said:
12 Gauge Remington Model 870 SPS Super Mag Max Gobbler

Came with super full turkey choke but I would like to try something new. Suggestions?

I shoot a .660 Rhino choke and the Winchester Longbeard XR 2 oz #4 ammo out of my 870 Supermag, very lethal, great patterns.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Thanks guys.

I mainly shoot Remington Premier High Velocity Magnum copper plated 3.5 inch in #4 , #5, and number #6. Will probably pattern the 4's this weekend using the factory choke. Sounds like I need to order a couple different chokes.

I'm a choke beginner, so what does the .665 number mean?

Andy S.

.665" is the choke diameter. Smaller number equates to a tighter choke, which typically creates a tighter shot string for better patterns at extended distances (40-60 yards). For reference on an 870 12 gauge, the bore diameter is .727", the full choke is .691", modified is .709", and improved cylinder is .720". See this chart for reference:

https://support.remington.com/General_I ... strictions

FLTENNHUNTER1

Andy S.":2q1liwoy said:
.665" is the choke diameter. Smaller number equates to a tighter choke, which typically creates a tighter shot string for better patterns at extended distances (40-60 yards). For reference on an 870 12 gauge, the bore diameter is .727", the full choke is .691", modified is .709", and improved cylinder is .720". See this chart for reference:

https://support.remington.com/General_I ... strictions

Thanks Andy for educating me. Great information!

Southern Sportsman

Andy S.":1g6bmoxb said:
.665" is the choke diameter. Smaller number equates to a tighter choke, which typically creates a tighter shot string for better patterns at extended distances

This is 100% accurate as a general statement. But keep in mind, if you go too tight the pattern will become "overchoked" and you will start getting erratic results. If you look you can find some super tight chokes out there, but tighter does not always equal better. Lead can typically be choked tighter than HTL, bigger pellets (i.e., 4 shot) often prefers something a bit more open that smaller shot (i.e. 6 shot). There are too many variables to account for which is why there are so many different options. You can get advice on a good starting point, but if you are trying to optimize your pattern, plan to try a few different combinations.

Southern Sportsman

Southern Sportsman":3q1w2yv9 said:
Andy S.":3q1w2yv9 said:
Smaller number equates to a tighter choke, which typically creates a tighter shot string for better patterns at extended distances

This is 100% accurate as a general statement. But keep in mind, if you go too tight the pattern will become "overchoked" and you will start getting erratic results. If you look you can find some super tight chokes out there, but tighter does not always equal better. Lead can typically be choked tighter than HTL, bigger pellets (i.e., 4 shot) often prefers something a bit more open that smaller shot (i.e. 6 shot). There are too many variables to account for which is why there are so many different options. You can get advice on a good starting point, but if you are trying to optimize your pattern, plan to try a few different combinations.

Andy S.

^^^^Correct, which is why I said "typically". As SS stated, over choking is just as bad, if not worse, than under choking. The best approach that will save you a bunch of money and time is to ask others on these forums and duplicate what they have tried in similar setups, with success. You can chase perfection and spend vasts amount of money and time, and rarely improve over what others have already achieved. Don't ask me how I know. :)