Ceremonial?

XCR-2

These were my great grandfathers pieces. The only history that I know behind them is they were probably found in Lee county Virginia or possibly Washington or Sullivan counties. Never seen anything like it.

Attachments

• IMG_4270.jpeg
    IMG_4270.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 5

Creek

Its either my eyesight or every one of those pieces appear to have some kind of a clear shellac or sealer of some kind.

If so, then it would be difficult to tell for sure.

Nice looking pieces without knowing for sure.

XCR-2

Its either my eyesight or every one of those pieces appear to have some kind of a clear shellac or sealer of some kind.

If so, then it would be difficult to tell for sure.

Nice looking pieces without knowing for sure.
They do have something on them, not sure what.

Creek

They do have something on them, not sure what.

I do know that one factor some of the pro's use is patina, and that with other factors like flaking patterns predominate for a specific type.

I wish I could help more. They look really nice, and knowing they were your great grandfathers makes them nicer yet.

338lapuaman

You are correct Smo. The one above it is a flint fishhook which were not common as the bone fishhooks which were made from a bone in a deer foot

XCR-2

Could the large one with the notches have been used too smooth arrow shafts?🤔
Could have been but I have a couple of Spokeshaves and they're nothing like that. Why would they make the points on each end? We'll never know. Maybe it was the Easton arrow straightener and not the gold tip 😂

mike243

Looks like they were chipping arrow heads out of a large stone and leaving them on there till the others were shaped out , when finished they would separate, they would make a drill if making a leatherman tool imo. That gave them a little more stone to hold onto.

jc0313

The middle point below the fish hook looks to be a variant of the Evans Double Notch.