Cell cameras with videos? Battery life

Mr.Bro

Going to try the cell cam route. What kind of battery life can I expect with 10 second videos and day and night pics?
Thinking maybe Tactacam?
Sounds as if maybe going solar for a couple of bedding areas that I don't want to disturb? Will solar really last for months? Does solar use special batteries?
This will be really new territory for me. Thanks guys.

deerhunter10

Mainly depends on how many pictures you're getting. I put mine out the middle to end of September and my first tactacam died last week. It was only taking pictures but probably sent 10 to 12000 pictures probably honestly maybe even more the other 2 one is on 30 one is at 20. All have taken 1000's of pictures with sketchy service. I also have it set to send every picture as soon as it takes. I have some cameras on video and those are on 50 percent right now. Roughly 2500ish pictures/videos better service area with these as well. I'm getting months out of lithium batteries haven't seen the need to go solar. I consider it a win I made it 5ish months and now I'll cut them off and save my monthly fee til next September.

I run bushnell as well no videos with them but seeing just a little less battery life out of those. They did about 3 weeks ago all put out the same day. Roughly taking close to same amount of pictures.

Personally I don't think you will have a problem getting 3 to 4 months out of batteries without solar but with batteries supply getting questionable and expensive that may be the way to go anyway.

BSK

How does cell video work? Does it transmit the video in full-definition format? I can't imagine trying to get cameras into a cell signal that could transmit multiple 50-100MB files per day.

deerhunter10

On tactacams you download them and they send every 12 hours. It's 5 dollars per 50 videos. They are in HD. It takes a picture then you can decide if you want to download the videos.

Speedwell-Hunter

Going to try the cell cam route. What kind of battery life can I expect with 10 second videos and day and night pics?
Thinking maybe Tactacam?
Sounds as if maybe going solar for a couple of bedding areas that I don't want to disturb? Will solar really last for months? Does solar use special batteries?
if set on 10 minute interval and no food set out (birds, coons, and squirrels will destroy the battery life); you can assume 4-5 months on lithium ion. and 2-3 months on standard AA. 10 second is nice and short. just make sure your trigger interval is not less than 10 minutes or you may see down in the 2-3 month with lithium ion and only 1 month with standard. For lithium ion that estimate includes cold months FYI.

Speedwell-Hunter

How does cell video work? Does it transmit the video in full-definition format? I can't imagine trying to get cameras into a cell signal that could transmit multiple 50-100MB files per day.
Spartan uploads a small res preview, and then you can decide to download the clip. they are about 20 MB each. Spartan does not charge you data until you click download the video. Does not transmit the video in full def, only when you decide to transmit the file. really nice way to save on data and camera batt life as well.

Speedwell-Hunter

Thinking maybe Tactacam?
IMO solar is a pain. panel and all that crap. easier to replace batteries every 2-5 months IMO.

BSK

Spartan uploads a small res preview, and then you can decide to download the clip. they are about 20 MB each. Spartan does not charge you data until you click download the video. Does not transmit the video in full def, only when you decide to transmit the file. really nice way to save on data and camera batt life as well.
Thanks!

deerdills

I know a lot of people do not like spypoint, but I use 3 and they are one of the best for battery usage. These are going on 5 months with standard AA. Currently they are set to send pics every 2 hours, with double pics and 10 min delay. Mainly just using the free pics during the off season. I pay for unlimited pics during November/December and set to no delay, over trails and scrapes. Pic quality is lacking but you can pay $5 for 50 better HD pics that can be pulled from all your cams. These have lasted several months, but I am selective on the HD pics. It is worth it if you run the cheap ones. No video to the app, but can store them on the card.

Latest posts