Catoosa anyone heard

Mtncur76

Heard today that catoosa deer hunts are no longer a bonus deer but they did add a bear hunt during bow hunt anyone else heard or read this. Heard it was the new managers decision why would anyone wont to put in for a hunt that counts toward there state wide season.

Buzzard Breath

Heard today that catoosa deer hunts are no longer a bonus deer but they did add a bear hunt during bow hunt anyone else heard or read this. Heard it was the new managers decision why would anyone wont to put in for a hunt that counts toward there state wide season.
Actually, they're up now. You heard right. No bonus deer.

Screenshot_20220614-172111_Drive.jpg

Carlos

The following is from the TWRA Catoosa WMA manager.

There have been two major changes to the regulations for Catoosa WMA.

First, all bucks now count toward statewide bag limit. This change was made to reduce the amount of younger age class bucks in the harvest. Currently, around 60% of harvested bucks are 2.5yrs and younger. Allowing bonus bucks alters hunter selectivity and increases the number of younger age class bucks in the harvest. As a result of removing bonus bucks, we expect to see an increase in the number of older age class bucks in the harvest. By reducing the amount of younger age class bucks in the harvest, we will have more bucks grow to maturity and will provide a great opportunity to harvest a large, older age class buck. As always, data will be collected at the check stations to validate the change. We will use this data to revaluate prior to the next regulation change period.

Second, we have included a bear season to the open 9 day archery hunt. This will provide hunters the opportunity to harvest a bear, without the use of dogs, while participating in the open archery hunt on Catoosa WMA. Hunters will only be allowed 1 bear, and it may be taken with any weapon legal for the deer archery season. The harvest regulations are the same as the state harvest restrictions. No sows with Cubs. And no bears under 75lbs. As always, the harvested animal must be taken to the nearest check station to be checked out and have data collected.

We also added language clarifying the need for transportation tags. All hunters should use the paper transportation tags to physically tag their harvest prior to moving it. All harvested big game at Catoosa WMA must be checked out at one of the two physical check stations when they are in operation.

Mtncur76

If they wont bigger deer they should have cut back the tags drawed 2000 people per hunt with 3 hunts they could cut that in half and would still help with more and bigger deer and leave as a bonus. But they wont do that because it's all about the money not the wildlife.

Shanman

Thanks for the info Carlos.
X2

So glad they added bear to the archery hunt, finally someone listened. Only downside will be the increased number of hunters just for the chance at a bear, I personally hope they harvest many, they are really hard on the fawns.
The one problem I had with the antler restrictions for the area was that some of your better genetic bucks were being harvested at a young age, way to many in my opinion. I too would like for it to stay a bonus buck, but hopefully this new change will help. Maybe in a couple of years if the age class of bucks increases and the overall deer numbers increase because of bear harvest, they might go back to bonus status. Catoosa has great potential but it hasn't been what it could be.

deerfever

Just cut the number of permits, 2000 people per hunt on that place is way too many . That would help quality of deer and quality of the hunt for people participating. Bonus buck or not a permit cut would help Catoosa on the gun hunts. I hope they reach their goal either way but just an opinion.

Rackseeker

I have never hunted Catoosa, I have been wanting to give it a try. I would think there are better ways to protect the younger age class bucks from be killed than doing away with being a bonus buck. Those hunters wanting to kill a 2.5 yr old don't care if its their 1st or 2nd buck or a bonus buck. Most hunters don't have alot of days to spend in the woods to get their 2 bucks anyway. If they would make it 9pt or better and cut permits back to 100 per season that should do the trick. I might put in after a couple seasons of those changes. LOL.........

Rakkin6

They could make it 4 points on one side or outside the ears also. That might help also. Haven't.hinted Catossa since I was 16 before I joined the Army. So around 1994 or 93.

mike243

They have been under a 4pt and outside the ear's rule for a long time, that still didn't satisfy trophy hunters, be glad when all deer hunting is by draw, then maybe a trophy will be behind every tree lol

Latest posts