Caney Fork new ramp area ?

TNCharlie

I suppose that the new boat ramp has been finished on the Caney Fork at Gordonsville. I've never been on that part of the river. What is the water depth near there? How far up- or downstream can you run a small outboard before getting into shallow water?

Also, are there still plenty of trout that far downstream from the dam?

B.D.

The depth isn't that much different from the river in the Happy Hollow to Betty's Island area. You've got a series of deep pools with shallow gravel bars and riffles at either end. You can run a small outboard during generation, but you will have to walk it through some of the shallow stretches at low water.

The number of trout in the lower river varies from year to year. In good years there are a lot, but if there is a bad year (usually a wet year with a lot of generation) it knocks the numbers back a lot.

I assume TWRA may start stocking more trout down there now that the new ramp is open. It would make sense.

bd

Living2Hunt

B.D. said:
The depth isn't that much different from the river in the Happy Hollow to Betty's Island area. You've got a series of deep pools with shallow gravel bars and riffles at either end. You can run a small outboard during generation, but you will have to walk it through some of the shallow stretches at low water.

The number of trout in the lower river varies from year to year. In good years there are a lot, but if there is a bad year (usually a wet year with a lot of generation) it knocks the numbers back a lot.

I assume TWRA may start stocking more trout down there now that the new ramp is open. It would make sense.

bd

bd that is true. we own 97 acres just passed happy hollow acess. i was talking to the wildlife officer hunting a couple weeks ago and they are wanting more trout to get down river, so they will be trying to stock them down pass bettys island towards gordondsville. great idea, might take a little pressure off the area from dam to happy hollow.

TNCharlie

Thanks for the info, guys. That's exactly what I was wanting to know.

Goose, the ramp is about a mile outside Gordonsville on the north side of I-40. You pass under I-40 leaving G'ville (NOT the G'ville exit, bu I can't remember the name of the road) and then just watch for the ramp on the right.

Cy

I used to put in at the Thayer Wilson Bridge just outside of G/ville and paddle upstream, or float down from Betty's Island.

Is that where the new ramp is? Wow! That would be big help. I didn't so much mind the drag up the ditch, but I hated getting in and out of the boat there.

stillinscrubs

Up river you have a large riffle about a half mile above the bend at the stone bluffs then nothing daunting until you get to a bed rock shelf just downstream from I-40. Be careful above the smithfork since it is very narrow and deep. After that a nice run to betty's. Below the Thayer Wilson bridge is a rather difficult slot that pushes against a lot of trees on low water. Really worth a look before navigating on low water.

Really worth a look IMO.

B.D.

TNCharlie said:

Goose, the ramp is about a mile outside Gordonsville on the north side of I-40. You pass under I-40 leaving G'ville (NOT the G'ville exit, bu I can't remember the name of the road) and then just watch for the ramp on the right.

It's been a while since I went in from that side, but if I remember correctly, you have to make a left turn off the road that passes under I-40, don't you? The left is a little ways past the gas stations and the Arby's.

bd

TNCharlie

B.D. said:
TNCharlie said:

It's been a while since I went in from that side, but if I remember correctly, you have to make a left turn off the road that passes under I-40, don't you? The left is a little ways past the gas stations and the Arby's.

bd

Yeh, that's how I remember it. I've only been once to look when the ramp was under construction and I'm not looking at a map, but if I remember correctly it's take the G'ville exit from I-40, turn left at the 4-way(?) stop, proceed through town, take the left fork, pass under the interstate, and the ramp is about a mile down on the right.

bowriter

R.I.P.
stillinscrubs said:
Up river you have a large riffle about a half mile above the bend at the stone bluffs then nothing daunting until you get to a bed rock shelf just downstream from I-40. Be careful above the smithfork since it is very narrow and deep. After that a nice run to betty's. Below the Thayer Wilson bridge is a rather difficult slot that pushes against a lot of trees on low water. Really worth a look before navigating on low water.

Really worth a look IMO.

The only boat I ever turned over on the Caney, I did in that shute below the bridge and was dang lucky to get out. I washed into the logs and climbed out on them. Had to get my truck to drag the boat out. Most times now, I long line and walk theboat through.