canes

tndad

Ys, ya I know canes are vry invasive BUT there are some that are not so-. anybody know of any for say- a 6-8ft voarder/screen. Was told once to plant some behind/enclosed in "metal" boarder with the boarder leaningat 45 degrees in an -out or in- inclide. Don't remember the depth.

What say ye?

Wheren't these cane in frontier times of buffaloo roaming the parts "cane breaks"- the buff s actually used/ate them?

Pic at the casa

http://www.americanbamboo.org/SpeciesSourceList.html

This site gives a good amount of detail on individual species. There are several varieties that will suit your needs. Arrow is a good one but some of the other small and shade loving types tend to bush out.

Keep that boarder extra high. The rizomes that shoot out of my stands regularly jump their 6" boarders. I have even had some arrow bamboo shoot a rizome through a plastic pre-fabbed fish pond, through the water and down through the bottom of the pond. Crazy stuff.

The cane native to this area is called Arundinaria gigantea (my spelling may be off). It will transplant but may look like crap for a while.

tndad

thanks, but toooo much uneeded info tho muddle thru
can't even find screen bamboo or noninvasibe ina ny of the vocabulary.
I kinda simple guy with short mind :D

basset

>>Wheren't these cane in frontier times of buffaloo roaming the parts "cane breaks"- the buff s actually used/ate them?

I have heard old-timers refer to any tangle of small brush as "cane," maybe that's what it meant?

as in Norman Blake's tune "Cattle in the Cane"...

trealtree

The running bamboo variety can be mowed down easily and controlled when it first shoots up out of the ground, but the rhizomes will still be underground.

Latest posts