Cam settings.

Savage Shooter

Thanks for the input on my placement post earlier folks.

On to the next one now. I am going to put a trail cam on a mineral block close to a travel area. I will place it on an old tree stump. What should I do with the cam settings. 1,2,3 shots when it triggers? Also ho much delay between shots. 1-60 minutes or what. Trigger speed is 2.5 seconds or so. I was thinking 2 shots once triggered and waiting for 5-15 minutes before it would be ready to trigger for the next set of shots. It will be put out in late march or april. Also, what distance should I place it from the block. I figure 20 - 30 feet.

BSK

I would start with a 3-shot burst and a camera delay of 5 minutes. If that produces too many pictures, back the delay off to 10 minutes. If 10 minutes is still producing too many pictures of the same deer, then back off again to 15 minute delay. But I would keep the 3-shot burst. Eventually, you will have situations where only the 3rd picture in a burst series caught the angle you need, and you will be glad you set it to that many burst-mode pics.

Shed Hunter

5-10 minutes is easy time for a different deer to pass through. I would rather take the time and sort through 1000 pictures rather than missing that big buck that decided to hang behind the other deer. Of course you'll need atleast a 2gb card to hold all of the pics.

Just my opinion though

BSK

Master Chief said:
5-10 minutes is easy time for a different deer to pass through.

I'm not suggesting this as a setting for all camera set-ups. I'm only suggesting this camera delay for a salt-lick or feeder site, where deer often stay for long periods of time.

On trails and scrapes during hunting season, I have my cameras set for 5-shot burst and a 15 second delay.

Shed Hunter

BSK said:
Master Chief said:
5-10 minutes is easy time for a different deer to pass through.

I'm not suggesting this as a setting for all camera set-ups. I'm only suggesting this camera delay for a salt-lick or feeder site, where deer often stay for long periods of time.

On trails and scrapes during hunting season, I have my cameras set for 5-shot burst and a 15 second delay.

Good point, they will stick around mineral licks so I could see it being almost pointless to set your camera to quickly take a pic.

No matter what you do be sure to post the pics!

Boone 58

BSK said:
I would start with a 3-shot burst and a camera delay of 5 minutes. If that produces too many pictures, back the delay off to 10 minutes. If 10 minutes is still producing too many pictures of the same deer, then back off again to 15 minute delay. But I would keep the 3-shot burst. Eventually, you will have situations where only the 3rd picture in a burst series caught the angle you need, and you will be glad you set it to that many burst-mode pics.

I had a cam for years and never even considered using the multi shot cause of poor battery life......then i started using it and wondered why i waited so long. Bsk is correct about missing a good angle or head shot until the second or more pics. Would not use it any other way and regret waiting as long as i did.

Latest posts