Calling Coldwater Catfishermen for Magazine Article

rsimms

I'm working on a magazine article and I want to hear from some wintertime catfishermen (FOR THE RECORD, meaning "for publication). It makes no difference if you are a Pro or a Beginner - I want to hear from you.

Please answer the following questions for me and I need your REAL NAME (PM me that if you prefer, or you can PM answers as well).

1) Do you fish for catfish during the winter (December - February)?

2) If so, why? If not, why not?

3) What water do you fish?

4) What do you do differently catfishing in cold weather months versus Spring & Summer? Locations? Fishing Techniques? Whatever else?

5) What's your preferred wintertime bait? And if different for warm weather bait, why?

6) What are your general expectations when catfishing on those extreme cold days? Size of fish or numbers of fish?

7) ANYTHING else you'd like to add... and a reminder, I need your real name please. Post or PM.

THANKS!

Bloodwolf1984

1 yes
2 catfish are easier to catch because water is down on norris and there isn't as many turtles so cut bait is the best
3 Norris lake
4 in cold water I fish cut bait and target deeper ledges...in warm water I use live bluegill and target anything that I would look for bass laying in
5 cut bluegill or shad for winter...easier for the scent to bring them in...live bait is best for warm water
6 I catch anywhere from 8 to 12 pounds consistently
7 in the winter catfish usually just bend the tip a little ....almost like they are just tapping the bait where as in the summer they take the rod fully down...catfishing in December on norris lake right at daybreak is exciting and we catch a ton of striper using cut bluegill too...attached are some taken in December 16th on norris with the biggest being 12 pounds

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698611970209.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698611970209.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 28

rsimms

1 yes
2 catfish are easier to catch because water is down on norris and there isn't as many turtles so cut bait is the best
3 Norris lake
4 in cold water I fish cut bait and target deeper ledges...in warm water I use live bluegill and target anything that I would look for bass laying in
5 cut bluegill or shad for winter...easier for the scent to bring them in...live bait is best for warm water
7 in the winter catfish usually just bend the tip a little ....almost like they are just tapping the bait where as in the summer they take the rod fully down...catfishing in December on norris lake right at daybreak is exciting and we catch a ton of striper using cut bluegill too...attached are some taken in December 16th on norris with the biggest being 12 pounds

Thanks very much!!

Bloodwolf1984

1 yes
3 Norris lake

Thanks very much!!
No probelm...hope it helps...from July to about September I catch 15 to 30 pounders pretty regularly on live bluegill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029-170206_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029-170206_Facebook.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20231029-170156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029-170156_Facebook.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20231029-170134_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029-170134_Facebook.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 35

gasman

Yes

Less boat traffic and also the big boys and girls like to eat in the winter.

Tennessee River (Below Pickwick Dam, Kentucky Lake, and a trip or two to fish below Chickamauga Dam).

4) What do you do differently catfishing in cold weather months versus Spring & Summer? Locations? Fishing Techniques? Whatever else?
I usually just focus on deeper water tightlining.

5) What's your preferred wintertime bait? And if different for warm weather bait, why? Cutbait and or jumbo shrimp for winter fishing.

6) What are your general expectations when catfishing on those extreme cold days? Size of fish or numbers of fish?
Size in the winter. I catch enough eaters on light tackle.

7) ANYTHING else you'd like to add... and a reminder, I need your real name please. Post or PM.
Patience, patience, patience.... If you think you have stayed at a spot too long, wait 15 more minutes. Winter fishing is slow but it can be very rewarding.

Chris Campbell

rsimms

Yes

Less boat traffic and also the big boys and girls like to eat in the winter.

Tennessee River (Below Pickwick Dam, Kentucky Lake, and a trip or two to fish below Chickamauga Dam).

I usually just focus on deeper water tightlining.

5) What's your preferred wintertime bait? And if different for warm weather bait, why? Cutbait and or jumbo shrimp for winter fishing.

Size in the winter. I catch enough eaters on light tackle.

Patience, patience, patience.... If you think you have stayed at a spot too long, wait 15 more minutes. Winter fishing is slow but it can be very rewarding.

Chris Campbell
Good stuff! Unfortunately my deadline came and went. Article already submitted.