Calling All Bobcats

Mike Belt

How many of you guys specificaly hunt bobcats and how successful are you? It's a different ballgame from calling coyotes and foxes.

CATCHDAWG

I target cats every now and then, totally different approach from calling yotes. Bout the only time I call for them any more is when someone else wants one. I would guess my success ratio to be about 1 out of 25 sets. I don't know if that's good or bad but about what I average.

Mike Belt

I haven't predator hunted in several years but I was into it pretty heavy at one time. I had some neat hunting experiences along the way and particularly with hawks and owls. When I sat up for coyotes if I saw no action in the first 30 minutes I was gone. Usually if they were in the area they were there within 10 minutes and in most cases less time than that. For bobcats I never even thought about moving for the first hour. In most cases a cat would never show himself for the first 30 minutes.

How long do you stay on a spot for cats before moving?

DIRTTRAX

Have to stay on the set longer. Seems to be best with higher pitched distress sounds and you have to keep them interested. I ive called them before be watching them coming in and stop to chase a grasshopper etc. They get side tracked very easy. Good thing is they will normally come in close and be a lot more careless than a dog if you get busted. Oh and my success rate sucks. lol

Mike Belt

I called intermitantly. A cat will "slink" in a little at a time and sit and watch. I had as many shots at cats sitting as I did moving.

DIRTTRAX

Mike Belt said:
I called intermitantly. A cat will "slink" in a little at a time and sit and watch. I had as many shots at cats sitting as I did moving.
Exactly. I had one last year came from around 300 yards trotting and setting. When he finally made it to about 75 yards he set on a stump just a perfect shot. I settled the cross hairs on him and right before I sqeezed a round off a doe come out of no where and ran the cat off! I cursed all the way back to the truck.

Plateau Hunter

Yep they come in much slower and take longer. And I agree they are prone to sit and watch for awhile. I don't target them specifically as I like the faster bust in action with coyotes-at least the ones I see!

redblood

Plateau Hunter said:
Yep they come in much slower and take longer. And I agree they are prone to sit and watch for awhile. I don't target them specifically as I like the faster bust in action with coyotes-at least the ones I see!

x2. we have called and killed a lot of them. most of the time now, we want shoot one unless it is a big tom. much rather match wits with a yote.