Call/Scent or nothing?

ngpirtle

Quick questions, if you know your hunting the rut in your area do you go prepared with a some type of call and scent, or do you think they are all hoaxs?

Working on the finishing touches to my stand pack for the upcoming ruts hunts and I have never used any scents or calls.

bigtex

I never go in the deer woods without my grunt call. I don't "blind" call very much, but if I can see a buck out of range and he obviously isn't going to come close for a shot I use it. If I can see the buck, I can watch his body language and more times than not bring him in close.
Not saying blind calling doesn't work, in some instances i've had pretty good success doing that as well. I also use the can call in the same scenarios.
Don't sit in a blind and call constantly and expect to have deer running all over you.

Great White Stalker

Yeah not much on blind calling myself. I heard my first snort wheeze several years ago. NEVER would have used that until that sit made me a believer. I saw 5 bucks in one set. They were wheezing all over the place. Last year I had a monster come in. Shot and missed with my bow at 41 yds. I had a call that was one of those 3-in-1 deals. Anyway after i shot and missed he only ran 10 yds.( I was sitting on the side of a steep ridge with open hardwoods.) Well I grunted at the monster and that would stop him as he walked off but not turn him. He would look in the woods but the fact that he didn't see anything didn't do much to spark his interest. So I snort wheezed. This had the same affect. Finally I used the dreaded bleat call which I think sounded horrible. Wouldn't you know at 70 yds it turns him and he came up an adjacent ridge to where I had another 41 yd shot! Unfortunately my calling was better than my shooting that day. lol.Its funny. This is the first time I could tell that story and not feel like throwing up. He was a monster.... Also I didn't mention that he walked up on a 155 lb 7 pointer that had been bedding beside me at 40 yds for over 8 hrs!!! It was a great sit and learning experience. Calls are no gimmick. Just don't go crazy with them. You are liable to do more harm than good.

jb3

During the rut I don't use any call. If a buck is after a doe, he really doesn't pay attention to anything but her. At least that's been my experience.

easy45

I tend to have a grunt call and a can call with me and will drag some estrous scent behind me on the way to the stand

WRbowhunter

I always carry a grunt call. About 5 years ago I was sitting on a side of a ditch and coughed before I could stop myself.I pulled out my grunt call with the hopes that "maybe" they would not figure out what the cough was all about. After hitting the grunt a few times. this big 8 pt steps to the edge of the ditch looking for a fight. He looked around for a bit then came straight to me all the time looking like he wanted to kick someones butt. Sometimes you just never know what's going to happen.

BlountArrow

Am I the only hunter on here that has never had even the slightest response from a Buck with the Doe "Can" call? I've even had bucks within eye sight and nothing. Just curious.

DOC1187

BlountArrow said:
Am I the only hunter on here that has never had even the slightest response from a Buck with the Doe "Can" call? I've even had bugs within eye sight and nothing. Just curious.
i had an 8 take off running when i hit the can he was at least 150 yards away he got out of dodge in a hurry

BlackBelt

If you use the can call incorrectly you will run off every deer that can hear it.
Most people turn the call over and let it "blaaaaaah" until it quits. They dont realize they have just made whats called an 'alarm bleat' and have put every deer around on high alert for danger.
If you didnt know that, go to youtube and type in "the deer doctor"...which is a guy named peter fiduccia (or something like that) and watch his free video on the 5 different sounds deer make and what each means.

BlountArrow

BlackBelt said:
If you use the can call incorrectly you will run off every deer that can hear it.
Most people turn the call over and let it "blaaaaaah" until it quits. They dont realize they have just made whats called an 'alarm bleat' and have put every deer around on high alert for danger.
If you didnt know that, go to youtube and type in "the deer doctor"...which is a guy named peter fiduccia (or something like that) and watch his free video on the 5 different sounds deer make and what each means.

Primos should have included that little nugget of info on the packaging. Guess they just wanted me to buy it, realize it is more suited as a toy for my 3 year old, and then buy some other type of Primos Snake Oil.

FULLDRAWXX75

I carry two different grunt tubes(different tones to them) at all times, and I save all my tarsal glands(buck & does) from every deer I take, they get bagged and labeled and frozen. I use them in different areas from which they were taken throughout the entire season. I will hang one off my pack and on stand.
I have had other deer come in to check out the stranger in their area when one is hanging on a tree branch.

Mike Belt

Any time from now until the end of the season I won't be in the woods without a grunt call and in most cases, an estrous doe call hanging around my neck. I know there are those that have had good success with the can call but it's never worked for me and I prefer the tube calls. In a few instances I may play with scents but the calls are my go to main stay.

deerthug78

i myself use the can call, primos buck roar, and a lohman 8 to 1 adjustable call throughtout the season and have had alot of deer come into my calling. the lohman is on doe bleat an during the call it changes octives an ive seen it myself an had others with me when it changes octives it just breaks them they gotta see that deer lol the lohman is the 1st deer call i ever got back when i was 16-17 an im 34 now. I've even used it calling bucks chasing does away from me some would stop in there tracks n look some would stop turn an come to me lol just my observations. but i also use tinks 69.

Hunter 257W

BlountArrow said:
BlackBelt said:

Primos should have included that little nugget of info on the packaging. Guess they just wanted me to buy it, realize it is more suited as a toy for my 3 year old, and then buy some other type of Primos Snake Oil.

By Golly, you are right BlountArrow. I did not know that and have been "blattting" full blast as long as the can would go. Thanks for the advice. Here's the video you must have been talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJMGYuEd ... D4C3D562FC

BlountArrow

Even more amazing is that bucks "immediately respond" according to the video. I always shook my bleat can a little to make it sound like a doe was getting hammered by a rival buck and REALLY enjoying it. That never worked either though. I guess anything works once in a while, just not for me; must be my technique.

DMD

I have never had any success with scents, though some hunters swear by them. But, I would never go to the woods without grunt call, can call and rattle horns/bag.

danny1975

during rut I use a grunt call and had great success with it . But if he is on a doe, its not going to make any difference. and as for scents the only luck I had with them is I had a great day killing yotes.

TheLBLman

My opinion is the majority of deer hunters would kill more bucks if they used no scents whatsoever and no calls whatsoever. That's not to say that both scents and calls don't work sometimes. But I do believe most users are confusing happenstance with a false assumption of cause & effect. Yes, sometimes you grunt, and a buck comes running. But how many times does grunting spook a buck you didn't see, one which might have been coming towards you if you had been quite?

I've also had estrous doe urine bring in a buck. But more often, I've seen it spook a doe, which in turn spooked multiple bucks.

Probably the biggest problem is over-use, and use under the wrong circumstances and wrong times, not realizing the deer are pin-pointing your location, when they otherwise might never have been alerted to your presence.

MattR

Wes Parrish said:
My opinion is the majority of deer hunters would kill more bucks if they used no scents whatsoever and no calls whatsoever. That's not to say that both scents and calls don't work sometimes. But I do believe most users are confusing happenstance with a false assumption of cause & effect. Yes, sometimes you grunt, and a buck comes running. But how many times does grunting spook a buck you didn't see, one which might have been coming towards you if you had been quite?

I've also had estrous doe urine bring in a buck. But more often, I've seen it spook a doe, which in turn spooked multiple bucks.

Probably the biggest problem is over-use, and use under the wrong circumstances and wrong times, not realizing the deer are pin-pointing your location, when they otherwise might never have been alerted to your presence.

I agree. I think alot of these products are sold as miracles and you are suppose to use them all the time and you will kill big mature bucks but that is simply not the case. People have been killing deer since before any of this stuff was out. They can be a great tool to have and use but only under the right circumstances. I have learned my lesson on using calls for sure.

Latest posts