Buzzards

Cutover

Will a buzzard catch and eat live poults? This morning I saw a hen standing at the edge of a hay field looking helpless while about 5 buzzards were eating something not far from her. If they do little guys don't stand a chance around here.Each buzzard was separate instead of in a gang. That's what made me suspicious.

Moonman

My dad was telling me that they have been having to watch their calves. I think he mentioned an Asian buzzard off the top of my head that will peck and kill newborn calves.

Woodman

I am somewhat certain a black vulture will kill a poult if they see it. I know they kill fawns and calves. Turkey vultures(redheads) do not kill live animals though.
^^^^^this. Black vultures will kill newborn calves, fawns or any smallish animal unable to move well. No doubt young poults would be on their menu.

catman529

I wish would could have a pred. season with limited harvest on them and hawks and owls.
Tennessee no longer enforces the federal protection on black vultures. I'd say go shoot em all. They're bad on calves as said above, although I don't see how they'd manage to grab a poult very easily if momma was watching out for em. Maybe they can, I wouldn't doubt it's possible. But usually the hens do a good job keeping their young flocked up in or near thicker cover when they're real young.

drake799

I seen 2 black buzzards after a snapping turtle couple years ago Idk how it turned out but they were definitely trying to get him

backyardtndeer

My dad was telling me that they have been having to watch their calves. I think he mentioned an Asian buzzard off the top of my head that will peck and kill newborn calves.
I had about a dozen black vultures on the ground separating a day old calf from a momma cow. Momma cow was charging them but they kept on. I walked out and ended their terrorizing of my calf. I have no doubt that had I not noticed, that they would have eventually killed it. Black vultures on our farm are not welcome.

Also had a possum in a foot hold trap that as I was walking up to check, noticed several buzzards, both turkey and black. Then the craziest thing, a yote came in, but guess he either saw me or maybe the birds were too much. All this while I am steady walking towards them less than 200 yards away. Possum was all but dead.

JCDEERMAN

I had about a dozen black vultures on the ground separating a day old calf from a momma cow. Momma cow was charging them but they kept on. I walked out and ended their terrorizing of my calf. I have no doubt that had I not noticed, that they would have eventually killed it. Black vultures on our farm are not welcome.

Also had a possum in a foot hold trap that as I was walking up to check, noticed several buzzards, both turkey and black. Then the craziest thing, a yote came in, but guess he either saw me or maybe the birds were too much. All this while I am steady walking towards them less than 200 yards away. Possum was all but dead.
I've had several coons and possums caught in a foot hole trap fall victim to coyotes, I assume.....just overnight! They would literally be ripped out of the trap and would be lying dead nearby with nothing but the hide left.

tnanh

I have said before, I dont remember seeing those black buzzards until a few years ago. They could have been around but I only remember turkey buzzards. The black buzzards are heavily populated around the southern counties of Tennessee. I didnt know they would eat poults. Could explain some of the diminishing populations but only part of the problem. If so seasons and limits should be adjusted accordingly. If the black buzzards are recent invaders in Tennessee hopefully TWRA is researching accordingly.