buying winter wheat

stickler

I called the co op and asked about winter wheat prices and the lady said they wouldnt have any until end of september because of the weather. Does this sound right?

TNlandowner

Anderson's Grain Group in Paris has wheat for $0.17 / lb.

This wheat may (will) have a few dead bugs, but I planted it last week. No rain, but it has already started growing just from soil moisture.

BSK

Boone 58 said:
We use about 100 pds per acre and or 100 for even a 3/4 acre....and I buy feed wheat, not seed wheat.

You do know that feed wheat is absolutely loaded with weed seed don't you? I now have weeds that aren't even native in my area due to planting feed wheat in my plots.

Boone 58

BSK said:
Boone 58 said:
We use about 100 pds per acre and or 100 for even a 3/4 acre....and I buy feed wheat, not seed wheat.

You do know that feed wheat is absolutely loaded with weed seed don't you? I now have weeds that aren't even native in my area due to planting feed wheat in my plots.

Yes Bsk....but in wayne county we are the garden of all weeds so we are kind of used to it. We try to plant later and closer to frost but I can tell you our largest weed enemy is sedge or sage grass it absolutely rules the cutover with those large domination tubers. We fight that as much as anything and do not plant summer fields due to this problem.....the clover is a extra benefit on fields where the shade protects it somewhat. The deer quit pounding our wheat/oat/ fields upon april when the honeysuckle and greenbriar and blackberry start leafing out. then they stay on that stuff all summer until the acorns start hitting the ground. Wish I had more resources , we would do much more, but we do what we can . Love it !

TNlandowner

TNlandowner said:
Anderson's Grain Group in Paris has wheat for $0.17 / lb. I planted it last week. No rain, but it has already started growing just from soil moisture.

As a follow up, the cheap seed germinated very well. My fields are already green and growing wheat.

Latest posts