Button buck

skipperbrown

This time of year if you see a lone yearling then there's a big chance it's a button buck. Although I do have one yearling doe running around by herself. Even if I can't see the buttons I can usually make out through the binoculars if it's a button buck or doe.
This. If you see a pair of yearlings, one is most likely a buck. Pick carefully.

BSK

Fawns have much shorter faces than adult deer. Visually, the distance from the tip of a fawn's nose to the center of it's eye is almost equal to the distance from the ear-hole to the center of the eye. On an adult doe, the distance from nose-tip to eye is twice the distance from ear-hole to eye. Other visual clues include: fawns have a much shorter body trunk than adult does, and fawns have shorter necks and smaller ears than adult does.

But the best advice to reduce the chances of taking fawns (and button bucks specifically) is to not shoot lone antlerless deer. A deer by itself provides no size reference. A lone fawn can look much bigger out by itself than it really is. Another piece of advice, don't shoot the first antlerless deer that walks out into an opening, field, or food plot. Fawns are less wary than adult does and are usually the first to enter a feeding area.

Below, the first two pics are first, an adult doe and second, a fawn. Notice how short the fawns face is. The ear-to-eye and eye-to-nose distances are about the same on a fawn. the third and fourth pictures are a doe and fawn looking at you. The ear-to-eye and eye-to-nose distance differences are still quite apparent even when the deer look at you.

Attachments

• doe2.jpg
    doe2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 51
  • fawn3.jpg
    fawn3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 53
  • doe1.jpg
    doe1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 51
  • fawn5.jpg
    fawn5.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 50

Jack Reed

Fawns have much shorter faces than adult deer. Visually, the distance from the tip of a fawn's nose to the center of it's eye is almost equal to the distance from the ear-hole to the center of the eye. On an adult doe, the distance from nose-tip to eye is twice the distance from ear-hole to eye. Other visual clues include: fawns have a much shorter body trunk than adult does, and fawns have shorter necks and smaller ears than adult does.

But the best advice to reduce the chances of taking fawns (and button bucks specifically) is to not shoot lone antlerless deer. A deer by itself provides no size reference. A lone fawn can look much bigger out by itself than it really is. Another piece of advice, don't shoot the first antlerless deer that walks out into an opening, field, or food plot. Fawns are less wary than adult does and are usually the first to enter a feeding area.

Below, the first two pics are first, an adult doe and second, a fawn. Notice how short the fawns face is. The ear-to-eye and eye-to-nose distances are about the same on a fawn. the third and fourth pictures are a doe and fawn looking at you. The ear-to-eye and eye-to-nose distance differences are still quite apparent even when the deer look at you.
Thank you👍🏻🇺🇸

Acorn

It's almost impossible at that distance. I was wanting a young and tender last week. I saw one at around 100 yards and could not see buttons so made a shot. It Ended up being a button but it was not protruding above the hair line.

Boone25/06

Ive never understood this, next year he is gone either way to his own range so their isn't inbreeding
I'm kinda on your page on this idea. I'm more concerned about my own property that I manage than the neighbors that shoot everything. I completely understand 300 acres isn't enough to keep deer on but doesn't hurt to try. The does are going to stay but like you said young buck will disperse. So in that mindset is shooting a button buck hurting my hunting or the neighbors a mile or more away. Same ones who brown it's down them. I tend to try not to shoot them but if it happens no big deal.

Boone25/06

I have tired the shooting momma doe to try to keep a piebald buck fawn on property without the desired outcome. He stayed the rest of the season on food plots all day long but was gone come the next season. Who knows what could have happened to him. Just didn't work out in that case.

Latest posts