Bushhog

cecil30-30

Spent most of yesterday and about 3 hrs today on the tractor trying to tame some of the open areas on my property. The land owner prior to me owning it would only bushhog it once every 5 years. It was very over grown with lots of small trees getting a start. Another couple years and it would have taken more than a bushhog to get it clear again. I'm going to do it once a year, probably in March like I did this weekend so it won't get so bad out of hand. First 2 pics are the view out of my sportsman condo.

Attachments

• 20220320_130751.jpg
    20220320_130751.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20220320_130743.jpg
    20220320_130743.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 248
  • 20220320_132603.jpg
    20220320_132603.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 248

cecil30-30

It really is satisfying. I can remember running through these woods when I was 13 or 14 just trying to jump shoot deer. Not having the patience to sit in one spot long enough. I remember when I was 14 or so sitting on a rock ledge that over looks the creek bottom shortly after it was logged, telling myself that I would own that property one day. Fast forward 20 years and it's finally mine. Never thought I'd be able to call it my own.

Dirtcop

Spent most of yesterday and about 3 hrs today on the tractor trying to tame some of the open areas on my property. The land owner prior to me owning it would only bushhog it once every 5 years. It was very over grown with lots of small trees getting a start. Another couple years and it would have taken more than a bushhog to get it clear again. I'm going to do it once a year, probably in March like I did this weekend so it won't get so bad out of hand. First 2 pics are the view out of my sportsman condo.
You've done a great job and it looks fantastic. This is what I do now since I've retired as a conservationist with NRCS. I've also learned that a good chemical spraying is cheaper that replacing a gearbox on a clipper. I'm usually called in when it's way too big for a bushhog. Again, it really is a nice job.

Grainger

Beautiful property.

I grew up in Anderson next door, we used to head to Morgan to Frozen Head, Lone Mtn and the Obed.

Before I started looking hard at buying a property, I checked with the owner of my company at the time, to see if he had any plans on moving our shop out to WestKnox, as that's where most of business is at.

If he had any plans to move West I was going to shop Morgan Co to find a place.

But he had no plans to move West, and stayed on the Eastside, so I ended up purchasing in Grainger.

DoubleRidge

I'm still thinking on that. If I do food plots I will do some fall plots. I was going to try to get a discount this summer.

By bush hogging and clearing those areas you have created disturbance which will generate some great early successional growth.... basically you have created a nice summer plot that a variety of wildlife will use....going forward you have all kind of options now....plant plots....or burn every couple years....or bush hog portions of it at different times of the year to add diversity..... habitat management is very rewarding.... enjoy the process.

atnvol

You might try sowing white clover in one area and red clover in another this fall. Sow at a heavier rate and it will stay for a long time with very little management. Sometimes deer will prefer white over red or vice versa. I like to sow clovers in October here. Just broadcast on top of the ground and they will do the rest. About as easy of a crop to grow that there is. The turkeys like it too.

cecil30-30

You might try sowing white clover in one area and red clover in another this fall. Sow at a heavier rate and it will stay for a long time with very little management. Sometimes deer will prefer white over red or vice versa. I like to sow clovers in October here. Just broadcast on top of the ground and they will do the rest. About as easy of a crop to grow that there is. The turkeys like it too.
That's what I was leaning towards. Going to try to aquire a disc this summer to atleast disc it some before I sow the clover.