Bummer

huvrman

So, I've been watching this buck on camera since early June. Had he and another 8 pt come into a small woods green field at 8 AM. Made a 40 yard shot right behind the shoulder, while broadside eating. It appeared the buck jumped the string and the bolt went over his back. The lumanock was lit, and disappeared as the deer completed his turn and headed out of the green field. I was very sure I overshot, but could not find my bolt at all. No hair, no blood, no bolt. I was in a 23 foot tall ladder stand shooting at a slight angle down as the greenfield actually lies on a hillside. I searched the green field for an hour on hands and knees, and still no bolt. Waited until this afternoon and went back in with a friend. Began grid searches and still found nothing. No blood, no hair, and still no bolt. Went back an hour after dark hoping to find my bolt with lumanock, and searched 100 yards in every direction around the plot. Still no bolt. So, I suspect one of two things happened. I didn't overshoot but hit a high lung and as the deer turned sank the bolt into his chest cavity without exiting the other side. Option 2 is I double lunged him and as he fell, he fell on the bolt side covering the lumanock. Would love to think he got away unscathed but not being able to find my bolt makes me think otherwise.

Attachments

• x out of velvet on 9 9 cropped.jpg
    x out of velvet on 9 9 cropped.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 220

catman529

It's very possible the bolt stuck through the top of the shoulder blades above the spine, or it buried up in the grass. Hope you get another chance at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts