Building precision ar15

BDS05

I was set on buying a quality AR until I i realized how inaccurate these rifles are if you would. I'm looking at 1200-1500 minus optics. I was looking at LWRC IC DI and BCM kmr-a-18 precision. I was looking at both of these rifles for the name and aesthetics.. once I narrowed it to these two, I've read OK reviews to not so good reviews. I'm about to give up. If I spend this much, I want one MOA or better guaranteed in a good looking rifle. Any tips if I were to go the build route?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hunter0925

Building or buying an ar that is moa capable is a fairly easy thing to do. I have only ever had one that shot worse than that and it was built on the cheap. Put your money into a good barrel and bolt carrier, the furniture is asthetically pleasing but is not where your accuracy comes from on an ar. There are plenty of off the shelf rifles available that will shoot moa and plenty of places to build one to your specs that will shoot that well as well.

BDS05

I'd prefer to buy but would build. Handloads are not in the equation for another year or so, realistically.

MUP

I think you can get an MOA AR platform rifle out of the box with just about any of the top manufacturers. My daughter has a DPMS panther that nearly punches the same hole at 100 yds with factory Hornady varmint ammo. I will eventually work up a handload for it tho.

infoman jr.

Aquaholic":3r9tarm8 said:
Two words...Bolt Action

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
lol

OP, get yourself a good barrel from someone like Larue, WOA, or Odin Works, and a good trigger like a Geissele. Your goal is quite achievable.

DaveB

H335 25 grains SAAMI length 60 gr partition Federal GM205ARM primer R-P brass

We are getting raggedy single hole with Axis bolt, nearly that with S&W M&P (S&W Glass is 2x7 el cheapo)

mr.big

a friend of mine has a JP with the side charging handle in 6.5 Grendel and an extra 6mm ARTurbo upper that will shoot through the same hole,,IDK what it cost but you better bring your good shooting bolt rifle if you are shooting against him,,

I really like that side charge handle,,

BDS05

mr.big":2kqr4mn0 said:
a friend of mine has a JP with the side charging handle in 6.5 Grendel and an extra 6mm ARTurbo upper that will shoot through the same hole,,IDK what it cost but you better bring your good shooting bolt rifle if you are shooting against him,,

I really like that side charge handle,,
6.5 is a little higher PPR than I want or I would seriousdly be considering it here.

infoman jr.

BDS05":2gc6flod said:
infoman jr.":2gc6flod said:
If I had $1200-1500 to play with, I'd probably do this: http://www.larue.com/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit and add the lower of my choosing.
IF it's even a choice, would you hold out on their barrel and order a different one?

What lowers wwould you look into?

The barrel on my gun I posted above has an 18" Larue 5.56 barrel. I've had great results with it.

A lower is a lower for the most part until you get into ambi or billet lowers. All of mine are pretty plain. Word on the street is that Larue is going to make his lowers available to those who purchase the kits. I'd be tempted to go that route if I bought one.

BDS05

Well i ended up buying a built AR off another forum. Ive only ran 3 five shot groups through it so far with my best coming in at .54.
There's something about touching holes with this platform vs a bolt. This could get expensive.
Thanks for info and recc. from all.

infoman jr.

BDS05":vw6mu6nz said:
Well i ended up buying a built AR off another forum. Ive only ran 3 five shot groups through it so far with my best coming in at .54.
There's something about touching holes with this platform vs a bolt. This could get expensive.
Thanks for info and recc. from all.

The lack of gun details and pics is disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDS05

Lower consists of a Saprtan billet, DPMS internals, MOE furniture and a Geissle Super T trigger.
Upper is a Sabre Defence receiver. Rainier 24" 1/8 with a JP brake wrapped in a Midwest Ind. 18" SP rail. Rainier gas block. Raptor CH. DPMS BCG. It has a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and a Midwest Ind. QD scope mount on top. Group was shot with ammo provided by seller. Magtech 77 gr OTM. I'm sure I can tighten up the shooting on a more relaxed session.
70b81147f8a7d3369870ebf080badf60.jpg

Latest posts