Buddy heater issues

gatodoc

I've got one of the small buddy heaters that sits on the 1# propane tank, today when I fired it up the pilot lit but the ceramic core never turner orange. It kept burning and shooting flame over the face. Suggestion?

gatodoc

Finally figured it out after freezing my butt off this morning. Pilot light lit fine but ceramic center would only glow around the edges. And some flame came out the top edge.

took it to the office and started disassembling it and a spider crawled out the bottom where the 2# tank screws in. I killed him and looked further. He'd built a web in a tube that I assume let's air into the burner. Removed the web as best I could and hit it with a shop vac.
fired right up just like normal. Now Ruger and I both hate spiders.

Omega

I had issues with my buddy heater yesterday as well, but the portable one. It started like normal but the pilot started sputtering, making the ceramic plate get brighter then subside. Eventually it went out altogether, and made me think the tank had finally run out, even though I checked it the day before. I started disconnecting the hose to use one of the backup 1lb canisters I keep in the stand and propane started coming out at the seal. So sealed the hose again and picked up the tank and swished it around a bit and it had enough liquid, I'd say about a gallon or two if I had to guess, and the gauge hadn't quite got to the yellow yet. So I started the pilot and again it started up fine, but soon started the whole sequence again. So closed the tank valve and removed the hose and used the spare tank. Thinking it was maybe the filter, I began rolling up the hose, and some water droplets began dropping out the end of the hose. So now, I am thinking that condensation in the hose was the culprit. I got a new filter just in case, but will use the old one again and this time will remove the hose (left it setup on Saturday) each time I finish using it.

Latest posts