Buckhammer shotgun slugs?

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I got drawn for a shotgun hunt and was wondering if any of you folks have hunted with the Remington Buckhammer shotgun slugs? If so, were they effective on deer?

Mr.Bro

Gramps, it looks like no one useing them and i havent either,I can tell you after many years and many slug guns,that most all i have owned were and are real finicky about what they like.I can tell you ALL 2 3/4 shoot just as well as any 3in.and you dont have to take the unnessary recoil.I can also tell you my guns preferred the mid range velocity ammo.1200-1400fps.I use Winchester Hi-Impact loads that are no longer made.I know its expensive but all you can do is buy a box and try em.
Good luck.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Thanks Mr.Bro. My 11-87 liked the Brenkke slugs but I cannot find them anymore. I did buy a box of Buckhammer slugs today, but all I could find were 3-inch shells. Guess I will take them down to the range Tuesday morning and see what I can do with them.

Mr.Bro

GRAMPS said:
Thanks Mr.Bro. My 11-87 liked the Brenkke slugs but I cannot find them anymore. I did buy a box of Buckhammer slugs today, but all I could find were 3-inch shells. Guess I will take them down to the range Tuesday morning and see what I can do with them.

Let me know how they do.I too shoot a 1187.

JimFromTN

Because we are not a shotgun only state, it is difficult to find any descent slugs in the stores, especially now that Bass pro is closed. Your best bet is to order some online. You never said whether your barrel is rifled or not. Stay with rifled slugs like Brennekke and Fiocchi if it is not. If it is, try lightfield hybrids. Some people have had luck with the faster slugs like the rem accutips. They have dropped considerably in price over the last year.

JimFromTN

ypically, the hastings barrels like something in the 1 oz range with a velocity of around 1500 fps. I have heard of some people having luck with the faster sabots but the majority like the mid range. Try 2 3/4 inch lightfield hybrids or if you can find them, Hastings 2 3/4 inch magnums. If you want to go cheap, try the fiocchis.

medwc

I use the 2 3/4" buckhammers in my 20 gauge ultra slughunter. They do the job on deer and are very accuate out to 100 yrds.

Tiny

Mr.Bro said:
I can tell you ALL 2 3/4 shoot just as well as any 3in.

Your experience is far diifferent than mine with 12ga smooth bores and a couple of friends with 20ga rifled barrels.

Latest posts