Bucket List Tarpon

rsimms

If you follow me on Facebook, you know I have posted "tarpon talk & photos" ad nauseum in recent days. If you're lucky, it will end with "The Reel Story": http://bit.ly/rheatarpon

However it's really not the story, but the video shot by Big Bully Outdoors (http://www.BigBullyOutdoors.com) you need to watch for the full flavor. I edited and I will admit that I preach to my friends to "keep videos short or else no one will watch the whole thing." I broke my own rule. I decided that to illustrate the full flavor of the epic battle required much more than two minutes.

And for my trash-talking TNDeer friends, I provided "full disclosure" in the story. They'll know what I mean. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• cff_tarpon1.jpg
    cff_tarpon1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 851
  • cff_tarpon4.jpg
    cff_tarpon4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 844
  • cff_boca_grande3.jpg
    cff_boca_grande3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 846

rsimms

TheLBLman":2njv2voa said:
Congratulations, Richard! :tu: :tu:

Tell us technoids more, like line details, etc.
Looked like you had a brand new rod there. ;)

Everybody I saw down there is a BIG believer in Penn rods & reels. We were using Penn 6500's loaded with 65 lb. braid with 50 lb. mono leaders, Trokar circle hooks. Bait was live crabs (which cost $4 APIECE during tarpon season! :shock: )

WTM

rsimms":16z16o4a said:
TheLBLman":16z16o4a said:

Everybody I saw down there is a BIG believer in Penn rods & reels. We were using Penn 6500's loaded with 65 lb. braid with 50 lb. mono leaders, Trokar circle hooks. Bait was live crabs (which cost $4 APIECE during tarpon season! :shock: )

great story. my grandfather was a big catfisherman around saltillo and caught some big ones and his favorite reel was a Penn.

been aiming to ask, what kind of software are you using to edit those photos? lightroom?

rsimms

WTM":2moggp9o said:
rsimms":2moggp9o said:
TheLBLman":2moggp9o said:

been aiming to ask, what kind of software are you using to edit those photos? lightroom?

I would like to have Lightroom, but can't bring myself to fork over the money. Most are tweaked on Photoshop Elements 14. I also tweak some on my iPhone using an App called Snapseed. There is a learning curve to it, but once you get a system down, it's awesome.

edtcase

Man that's awesome.

It's been proven through history that women's a mystery! Popeye

ewc

I hooked one down in Sanibel that looked that size - guide said 150#. Jumped and came within 2 feet of jumping in the front of the boat where my wife and daughter were standing.

Broke me off within 20 seconds - I was casting for specs...wrong gear.

Hollar Hunter

That's awesome congrats! I hope to do the same in a few weeks. Waiting for the call that they've moved in...

Latest posts