Louisiana Tarpon

rsimms

Some stories are really hard for me to write just because I feel like I lack the words to adequately share the experience. But it doesn't stop me from trying: https://bit.ly/VeniceSilverKings

venice_tarpon2.jpgvenice_tarpon3.jpgvenice_tarpon7.jpgvenice_tarpon1.jpgvenice_tarpon4.jpgvenice_tarpon5.jpgvenice_tarpon6.jpgvenice_tarpon9a.jpg

Safari Hunt

Richard, you are too modest. I read the article and was surprised at tarpon in Louisiana. That dispels the Florida-Bahamas idea as the only places to catch the Silver Kings.

NumberOne

Are tarpon the most prized saltwater fish when it comes to sport or is it the marlin? Or something in the Tuna family. Basically whats the largemouth bass of saltwater?

Pilchard

Are tarpon the most prized saltwater fish when it comes to sport or is it the marlin? Or something in the Tuna family. Basically whats the largemouth bass of saltwater?

This is a tricky question.... The Tarpon is the premier shallow water game fish. It earned that title because it swims in shallow, clear water, can be targeted with relatively light tackle and its large acrobatic personality creates a visual experienced that is unmatched.

Billfish and other pelagic species are equally as exciting but are frequently targeted by trolling which some people would call boring(until the strike). The Blue Marlin is at the top of the list for most deep water fisherman. Followed closely would be the Black Marlin.

I have caught many billfish species along with most common tuna. If I had the choice of unlimited marlin fishing for the rest of my life or I could only catch one more tarpon, I'd take the tarpon.

All that said, the large mouth bass of the salt(at least in southern states) is the speckled sea trout. More people fish for them than any other species. This is mostly due to their prevalence, ease of catch and the fact that they don't migrate long distances so they are available year round.

Latest posts