Buck rut range-shift/expansion beginning

BSK

On all of the properties I camera monitor, the annual expansion of buck ranges, or even shift of range to their rut area, has begun. Over the last week, most properties have experienced a big surge in new bucks appearing on camera, especially older to mature bucks. On some of these properties, this literally occurs overnight. On one property, four new mature bucks appeared on the same camera on the same night.

Engine2c

Last camera check I did about a week ago had several new young bucks show up. I've also still been seeing bucks running together as recent as yesterday.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Same on our cameras.

I need to post a picture of a new 8 point we got. Gonna have to call him Bambi.
Every time he shows up there is a rabbit with him.
Funniest thing I ever seen. :D

BSK

redblood said:
unfortunately you lose as many as u gain

That can happen. You can lose more than you gain, lose the same amount you gain, or more often than not, gain more than you lose.

Think about rut range expansions: if bucks are expanding their ranges, they now cover more ground than they used to (cross more properties). This means that most properties will see an increase in the number of bucks that use the property. Of course, this also means each buck spends less time on the property, but at least the variety of bucks increases.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Send some down the Cathole way Brian. We will be there next weekend with bells on.

JCDEERMAN

Couldn't check pics from this past week, but the week before, we gained 1 mature buck and lost one 3.5+. Didn't check 2 of the cams due to time restraints. Got my 6.5 on camera for the first time since August. Glad he's still kickin

DaveB

Yeah, I was wondering. On my lease there are just a lot of doe's. I can see my own bucks staying put but last season not a single wanderer came through, at least on camera. Can a very healthy population of doe's keep Pappa at home?

Latest posts