Brush gun................

Tikkabuck

I had this question last year after I got chance to hunt a really great place with lots of thick cover. I went and got a Tikka in .338 Federal. Love it,stuff it with a good round nose bullet and it's just what the Doc. ordered.

I have a 450 Marlin lever action for up close a personal work loaded with 300gr Barnes bullets. To be honest my Rem 700 SPS in 300wsm is really handy in close corners. Like 444 said a brush gun is more about the size of the gun not the ability to shoot through brush.

Bottom Hunter

I am more conceerned with knock down power and shooting through light brush than weight or length of the gun.........basically, I'm looking for a gun that with shoot through light brush and take a deer down quickly..........

BH

Model70Man

Bottom Hunter said:
I am more conceerned with knock down power and shooting through light brush than weight or length of the gun.........basically, I'm looking for a gun that with shoot through light brush and take a deer down quickly..........

BH

You won't find it. The smallest twig will deflect a bullet off its mark.

Pick and choose your shots and make sure you have a clear shot. Any rifle or shotgun that you have currently would suffice.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Bottom Hunter said:
I need a close in gun......with lots of knock down and the ability (somewhat) to shoot through brush............what do you recommend...........

BH
Lever action Marlin 30-30. Nothing will bust thru thick brush. The 30-30's rounded tip will be deflected less by small twigs.It is lite ,quick and easy to handle.I have peek sites to look thru for close quick shots.Almost every deer I've shot with mine dropped in thier tracks. The few that have run ,didn't run far !!!

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
The two main things to concern with are bullet shape and lots of energy. It's all physics. In calculating vectored energy it's all about the angle of impact and the energy transfer to the item impacted. The more energy you have and the less the angle of impact you have the less will be the deflection from the original path. Read as "big bullet going fast".

stik

NRA did a test on this a couple of years ago. EVERY caliber they tested ( from 22 lr up to 458 win mag including shotgun slugs) will deflect enough to cause a complete miss or worse yet ,a bad hit on a target just 1 ft. behind the obstacle. shooting through brush at a deer without picking a hole is unethical and stupid IMO.

Latest posts