Broadheads!

TNDeerGuy

First of all, welcome to the site and the forum! :)
You are going to get as many different opinions as there broadheads out there on the subject. It basically boils down to what you have the most confidence in�as it does any choice you make in your archery equipment. Me personally, I use and highly recommend surgical sharp fixed-blade broadheads like G5 Strikers or Slick Tricks, due to the simplicity and zero chance of something going wrong, or losing energy, due to moving parts. However, some people absolutely swear on their life on mechanicals like Rage, T3's and others. I will say this, if you are using a lower poundage setup, or a setup that doesn't produce at least moderate speed, I then very highly suggest you stay away from mechanicals of any type.
Whatever you choose to go with, pick an arrow that is balanced as far as weight ratio to kinetic energy and arrow drop�it will take a little homework to find that arrow, but the choice in arrow is just as important, if not more so, than the broadhead you put on it.

UTGrad

TNDeerGuy said:
You are going to get as many different opinions as there broadheads out there on the subject. It basically boils down to what you have the most confidence in�as it does any choice you make in your archery equipment. Me personally, I use and highly recommend surgical sharp fixed-blade broadheads like G5 Strikers or Slick Tricks, due to the simplicity and zero chance of something going wrong, or losing energy, due to moving parts. However, some people absolutely swear on their life on mechanicals like Rage, T3's and others. I will say this, if you are using a lower poundage setup, or a setup that doesn't produce at least moderate speed, I then very highly suggest you stay away from mechanicals of any type.
Whatever you choose to go with, pick an arrow that is balanced as far as weight ratio to kinetic energy and arrow drop�it will take a little homework to find that arrow, but the choice in arrow is just as important, if not more so, than the broadhead you put on it.

Good advice here

catman529

TNDeerGuy knows his stuff, so does UTG

I'm not an experienced hunter but I say Thunderheads are the way to go.... only other broadhead I have considered trying is the Magnus stinger 2-blade. I have heard good and bad about expandables. The bad being poor penetration and blades opening in mid-flight. good being huge blood trails when they do work. I don't care to try them really. Thunderhead is a solid head... killed 3 deer with the same one, no sharpening, blew through 3 deer and the 3rd one it got caught on the leg on the way out and broke off the arrow never to be found. would have killed more if I had found it. I have only killed 6 deer with a bow so far but all have been with the thunderhead and not once was the broadhead bent or broken.

OK I am done and hope you figure out which broadhead to use.

deerhunter10

TNDeerGuy said:

great post!

PinchPoint

UTGrad said:
TNDeerGuy said:

Good advice here
^^^^^

Poleaxe

TNDeerGuy said:

You know I posted a reply about this very same topic on archerytalk about all the energy a mechanical looses and that was the dumbest thing they had ever heard. Reason number 100 I never went back.

Boone 58

You will hear alot of discussion. Make your own choice. I have used them all and love Muzzy's....and RAge 2 blade which is shown below.....devastation! Pictures tell a story....enjoy. ;)

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Bowhunting%20Related/P09-24-11_0928.jpg.html]
P09-24-11_0928.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Bowhunting%20Related/100908_0927a.jpg.html]
100908_0927a.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1349658649467.jpg.html]
ResizedImage_1349658649467.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1348970088004.jpg.html]
ResizedImage_1348970088004.jpg
[/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Trophy/rage_broadheads.jpg.html]
rage_broadheads.jpg
[/URL]

knightrider

55lb pse brute x with 360 grain arrow and i can send a rage 2 blade slicing thru any whitetail that runs in tn. i love the rage 2 blade but hate the 3 blade

Cbutl

Ok so I bought some g5 strikers and they flew with my feild points out to about 25 yards..first time I shot at a deer and it breaks one of the blades....went to walmart that evening and got a pack of slick tricks. gonna try them out in the morning hopefully!

Urban_Hunter

Cbutl said:
Ok so I bought some g5 strikers and they flew with my feild points out to about 25 yards..first time I shot at a deer and it breaks one of the blades....went to walmart that evening and got a pack of slick tricks. gonna try them out in the morning hopefully!

:eek: Crap!!! Like you shot the deer and the blade broke off? Or like you missed the deer and hit a rock and broke the blades?

TNDeerGuy

Shot at a deer??? I assume, from the way it is written that you missed the deer, and that sucks if you did�it happens to all of us. Dealing with broadheads breaking are part of what we do, especially when blades hit something hard�some are worse than others. What ever you hit with that G5, would have done the same thing to a slick trick�it wasn't the broadhead's fault. It is entirely possible to even damage a one-piece broadhead. If you go switching broadheads anytime you get a damaged head....not only will your head explode, but your collection of broadheads will grow exponentially. I have 8 deer die with my number one broadhead/blade combo�a G5 striker that has yet to impact a rock or a big bone at the wrong angle, that just gets the blades re-sharpened and off to another kill.

Dbllunger

NAP Killzone (mechanical). It can't open in mid flight and leaves a devastating wound channel. That being said, fixed blades are awesome too. It has more to do with shot placement than broadhead brand.

Cbutl

Luckily It was a clean miss but my main problem isn't that the blade broke because I can replace those but the tip was chipped and duller than a blunt tip

TNDeerGuy

Cbutl said:
Luckily It was a clean miss but my main problem isn't that the blade broke because I can replace those but the tip was chipped and duller than a blunt tip

Don't take this the wrong way....not trying to be a smart-butt and only trying to help. Whatever you hit would have damaged any broadhead, and it is no way a reason to swap broadheads. Would you switch vehicle manufacturers because the telephone pole you ran into put a dent in your bumper? Of course you wouldn't, unless of course you just wanted to switch to start with. :)