Breeding date based on trail cam pics

ERIC

We are finally seeing some fawns show up on trail cams, but have had some pregnant does still showing up as late as mid July. With a birth date of Mid July, the conception date would have been around
Christmas. In our area, it seems to be more common than not to have late born fawns, indicating a late breeding period.Has anyone else noticed when most of the fawns start showing up on trail cams? I know that the does leave them alone for a couple of weeks before they start tagging along, but I was just curious what others were seeing to get an idea of when most breeding occurs in different parts of Tennessee.

TheLBLman

The waters get muddied by 7-month old female fawns coming into their first estrous, getting bred (late).
This is normally a sign of good herd health, while adult females being bred late is a sign of poor herd health.

ERIC

We have seen some twins (it appears) with mature does. Some of the does could be having their first fawns, though. We kept looking for fawns to show up in June, but never did. Maybe they were born but didn't show up for a while, but it sure seems like they were just born about a month later than we expected. I would say, though, that I don't think we have the healthiest herd in Jefferson County. Buck/doe ratio really seems to be out of balance, both on pics and observations year round.

Grnwing

Majority in our area are 3rd week in December but had a spotted fawn show up in March this year. Fawns started showing up end of June and seeing a lot more the past 2 weeks.

ERIC

Ok, thanks for the reply. I was thinking late December was a little late, but maybe it is more common than I thought. We usually see some chasing in mid November and mid December, so I guess the "second" breeding period is maybe when most of the does are bred.

Hunter 257W

This map shows dates from a TWRA study done a few years ago for a few southern TN counties. I found it interesting since I hunt in one of these counties(Franklin) but I think these counties are the exception rather than the rule as far as rut dates for TN. I have found these dates to match up with what I see in the woods. When many on this site are winding their deer hunting down for the year and thinking about Spring fishing, the deer are just moving good around my place. December is definitely the prime time.

EDIT: I thought I had some sort of article that went with this map but can't find it if it does exist. I know that the dates shown are supposed to be actual conception dates for that area based on autopsies of does killed.

Attachments

• Deer Rut Study Southern TN.jpg
    Deer Rut Study Southern TN.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,153

ERIC

Wow. There sure is a lot of variation on dates between counties in close proximity to each other, and even within a county. I'm beginning to rethink the best time to catch a buck cruising is later than what I have always thought.

Mike Belt

Think better late than early. The rut won't start until it starts. Flip side to that is no telling when an unbred doe or a first timer will come into heat dragging rutting action later into the year. That being said and as far as close proximity, I had 6000 acres leased in Hardeman County. I hunted there for about 8 years so I had a good idea about when our rut typically started. The son of the man I leased from had another farm he hunted on about 5 miles SE of us. Every year the rutting action on his place began about 1 week before ours.

AT Hiker

ERIC":14j79tmn said:
Wow. There sure is a lot of variation on dates between counties in close proximity to each other, and even within a county.

I know! Like a month difference in some cases. I've never seen this map, I'm assuming it's legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

BSK posted it several times over the years. That's where I got it. Or Was it SCN or BigGameGuy??? To be honest I don't recall but it came from somebody who was in a position to know the validity of the study.

BULL MOOSE

Before the forum upgrade, there was a lot of information on this topic. But, the peak of rut around BSK's Humpreys county area was mid November.

Maybe he will publish a book with all of his old info.

puppy

I live in Cocke County (one county east) and run cameras year round, I started seeing fawns during the first week of July. I also see most of the breeding activity in person or on camreas centered around Dec 10. with a 201 day gestation period that matches up pretty close.

Jmed

I was freaking out this year, because i wasnt seeing any fawns, and i am running 7 cell cams on 350 acres. Now ive got them every where and they are all twins and a set of triplets. I think the does drop and kinda hide out in the thick stuff away from everyone else for a few weeks before the fawns start popping out of the thickets with their moms.

TreeTop

ERIC":4k6kbquf said:
We are finally seeing some fawns show up on trail cams, but have had some pregnant does still showing up as late as mid July. With a birth date of Mid July, the conception date would have been around
Christmas. In our area, it seems to be more common than not to have late born fawns, indicating a late breeding period.Has anyone else noticed when most of the fawns start showing up on trail cams? I know that the does leave them alone for a couple of weeks before they start tagging along, but I was just curious what others were seeing to get an idea of when most breeding occurs in different parts of Tennessee.

Uh...Valentines Day? Birthdays? Christmas/ChristmasEve, Solar Eclipse, etc.

WORM82

I'm in northeast tn and have gotten the most pics of mature bucks in daylight in the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov the last few years.

Latest posts