Breaking my heart

DRSJ35

My son is crying that daddy will be gone hunting. I'm going to catoosa 19-21. Wish I could take him he's 9 and me and a buddy will be in a tent. It'll be cold and no room at all. Plus I've started him bird hunting but not deer. And this ain't a hunt for teaching. I'll take him local when I get back I told him. So we have time and dad can teach you. Still makes me sad. Maybe I can get him to smile before I leave in the morning. He's not done this as I hunt local and come home always. But went to chuck swan this past week. And now he knows how long I'll be gone. Just rambling on fellas sorry.

Chief44

Ive been in the same boat when my kids were that age. It's tough to leave them behind that's for sure. Just remember, there are a lot of kids out there that wouldn't shed a tear if daddy was gonna be gone for a few days. Just shows that you must be doing something right. Have a good trip.

Southern Sportsman

My son (5) has been complaining and my daughter (3) has been crying when they wake up and I'm not there on weekends lately because I didn't take them with me. I've taken them both on several hunts but not deer. They both have the attention span of a gold fish. I tell them (and my wife) that deer hunting is a lot like waiting quietly in the cold for something that may never show up. They've been spoiled on squirrels, doves, and ducks where there is plenty of action. I'm planning an afternoon doe hunt soon at a buddy's farm with lots of deer.

I say all that to say, I know exactly what you mean. My son turns 6 in May. Last night I laid him down for bed and just before I closed the door he said "Dad, on my birthday when I turn 6, can we go turkey hunting?" I teared up just a bit and then cleared my calendar for 5/6/21. It's a date.

MUP

My son is crying that daddy will be gone hunting. I'm going to catoosa 19-21. Wish I could take him he's 9 and me and a buddy will be in a tent. It'll be cold and no room at all. Plus I've started him bird hunting but not deer. And this ain't a hunt for teaching. I'll take him local when I get back I told him. So we have time and dad can teach you. Still makes me sad. Maybe I can get him to smile before I leave in the morning. He's not done this as I hunt local and come home always. But went to chuck swan this past week. And now he knows how long I'll be gone. Just rambling on fellas sorry.
I remember the guilt I felt when leaving in the morning on just a day hunt, and leaving my little sweetheart sleeping and not being there when she would wake up. She was, however, very excited when I'd come home with a good buck! Used to have the picture of her with one of my bucks floating on the TnDeer header page even. :)

MUP

And here it is! :D Good times!

Attachments

• Shea on TnDeer.jpg
    Shea on TnDeer.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 93

backyardtndeer

Be thankful. My youngest is 9, my only boy of 4 kids. My 3 girls have all killed deer. He got his lifetime sportsman before he could walk. He is however high functioning autistic and has serious aversion issues. He has shot some but cannot take loud sound unless it is him making them. Blood freaks him out. Spiders freak him out and make him spit.

He has said he would go to the stand if I want him to, but is really not interested. He has asked are deer hostile, if not why do we kill them. Could go on about long conversations with him about why we kill deer.

Bone Collector

I have had to do this many times. He goes with me on our land occasionally and shot his first deer this past Juvi hunt. He doesn't understand when we go on these hunts what he would be signing up for... We just went to LBL and he wanted to go and I told him "no". Told him he wouldn't like it all. I tell him I will take him on our land later and he is fine with it. Some hunts are for adults only. My son is 9 too. He is not too interested in it (I hope yet) but he likes to go with me from time to time, so we can do stuff together.

DRSJ35

Be thankful. My youngest is 9, my only boy of 4 kids. My 3 girls have all killed deer. He got his lifetime sportsman before he could walk. He is however high functioning autistic and has serious aversion issues. He has shot some but cannot take loud sound unless it is him making them. Blood freaks him out. Spiders freak him out and make him spit.

He has said he would go to the stand if I want him to, but is really not interested. He has asked are deer hostile, if not why do we kill them. Could go on about long conversations with him about why we kill dee

DRSJ35

I talked to him tonight he seems ok. Bringing a good buck home would be awesome so I can see his face. He wished me luck and stuff. So at least some of the guilt has subsided.now down to business tomorrow morning. Love the pic mup hope to create one just like it.

Latest posts