Braid or Flourocarbon for Surf Casting?

IRISH HUNTER

I have one rod set-up with 20 # mono for casting a double drop rig with a 1 or 2 oz.weight that I like to use shrimp or sand fleas on. I bought another rod that I want to set up for casting artificial lures. What do you suggest to have increased casting distance as well as strength? Braid or flourocarbon?

bigquacks

Depends on water clarity. Atlantic side I would go with braid due to dirtier water. Gulf, I would go either straight Flouro or "top shot" with Flouro. And keep some extra Flouro with you
because everything in the ocean has teeth and it isn't fun to run to the store when you run out of line. :bash:

rukiddin

Braid braid braid!!! All my surf rods are spooled with 50lb power pro.

Last time at the beach, I bought all the stuff to make my own hook rigs with. Crimps, pliers, swivels, flourocarbon leader and everything. Not really sure if it's cheaper, but I can make everything exactly the way I like it, and I never have to worry about running out.

I only fish the NC coast so water is not as clear as the gulf, but we have caught Spanish on artificials using the braid and they didn't seem to mind it.

Latest posts