Boxes on Public?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
In order to put wood duck boxes on public, do you have to go through a DU project or some other officially sanctioned organization? Or can you just put some out there? What's the legality surrounding this?

Grnwing

If it is on WMA, I would check with the local WMA manager. I know a local High School DU chapter builds boxes and then puts them out on one of the local WMA's. Good luck!

Crosshairy

Most of the "newer" ones I've seen installed in my area have the predator guards below them to keep the nest raiders out. Not sure if that's in your plans or not.

I'll tell ya what - I guess wood duck boxes work, because I'm amazed at the number of those things I see hunting nowadays. Their numbers seem to just keep going up. I had one hunt this year that was spectacular just because of wood ducks. If it weren't for them, we'd have done terrible...

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Most of the "newer" ones I've seen installed in my area have the predator guards below them to keep the nest raiders out. Not sure if that's in your plans or not.

I'll tell ya what - I guess wood duck boxes work, because I'm amazed at the number of those things I see hunting nowadays. Their numbers seem to just keep going up. I had one hunt this year that was spectacular just because of wood ducks. If it weren't for them, we'd have done terrible...

I'll definitely make sure they have predator guards.

And I guess in line with what you said, I really just want to hedge my bets each season. Woodies made the season for me. Don't know if I would have even been hunting in January to see when the big ducks arrived had it not been for them. But if I can count on woodies, all else will be bonus. Saw a few places where the boxes had fallen down and needed replacing and wanted to jump on it.