Bowhunting Coyotes from the Ground

UTGrad

I would like to whack the yotes that have been eating the pets in our neighborhood. My contribution to the Homeowners Association. Would it be possible to actually call in a yote close enough to take a shot from the ground with a bow?

A

Anonymous

I had a friend once that hid in a chicken coop at night and shot a yote with a bow , but there was another yote with him , and that yote jumped on him and got in a bite or two before my friend stabbed it. Both were tested and both were rabid , and he underwent rabies shots , so be ready for anything.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
You would definately need a ground blind or some kind of natural cover to get drawn on a yote.

wildlife pro, that is scary stuff.

redblood

I have called and killed them for almost 2 decades. I dont think any of them could have been killed from the ground with a bow, simply becuase the bow could not have been drawn without the dog seeing us. Not saying it couldnt be done, but if your goal is to save neighborhood pets, break out the gun powder. If it is residential, break out the scattergun.

mathews338

i have never hunted for yotes but have killed several while hunting deer and i will say this

one time while bow hunting i saw one coming right at me so i got ready and everything was right (the wind and i was 25' up a tree with good cover around me) but it heard my clothes make just the slightest bit of noise as i drew my bow back and was gone faster than you can blink an eye

sharpest animal around IMO

backstraps

Never say never. You have to have determination, many let downs, and LOTS of luck.

I always wanted to shoot one with a bow.I knew where a female was staying. Early archery, I decided to clomb down and move towards her area. When I was about 30 yards from where she normally crossed under the fence, she came out of the hicket right in front of me. She caught me drawing, ran about 40 yards and stopped. I released and shot her at about 55 yards away. Thats the only yote I have mounted now. I had a shoulder mount on a rock ped

backstraps

redblood said:
I have killed hundreds probably. I have mounted 2- both black. Would like to mount a silver.

I chased a black one for almost a month, until I got the call it got shot. Bad thing is I was so close several times, but something last second happened. The guy that shot him, actually seen it in his yard. Got his gun when he opened the door it ran off. Hour later he was back, this time the guy raised a window, and shot him from the kitchen! Big ole black dog! He just tossed it. I would loved to have gotten it mounted.

Seen a black one while deer hunting in Ohio last year. It and a big red one were both chasing a yearling doe by me. I didnt have a chance to get drawn to try and throw an arrow their way though!

Sidewinder

Killing coyote with a bow can be done. With a little luck and a good set you can make it happen. The female on the left I trapped early in the morning. The male on the right I shot with my bow out of a treestand using a sceery ap9.
DSCN0008-2.jpg

A

Anonymous

It can be done but takes a some luck and skill, go for it. If that dont work maybe try a .17 cal. up close and go for a head shot.

Latest posts