BOWFISHING

jbow

My brother and I are Bowhunters and fishermen. We would really like to try out some Bowfishing. Can anyone give us advice on the regulations and where to start. We live in the Memphis area.

trealtree

Regulations are pretty simple. You can shoot any fish except Game fish Ex: Bass, Crappie, Striped Bass Etc.. There are some exceptions with catfish and paddlefish and where you can shoot, so you need to check the Fishing guide for that.

I do know one of the rules is that you can not shoot within 100 yds belows a dam.

mossyhorns300

Cold creek when the river goes back down. Its only about an hour north of Memphis. Very, very, very target rich environment with the Asian carp and gar. The lake will look like an oil slick with black swirls under the surface. It's just schools of Asian carp. Shooting 30 fish a day per person is not uncommon! Here's a few pics from last year.

bigcarp.jpg

bowfishapril10009.jpg

bowfishapril10008.jpg

Mossy Oak

If you are ever in the Clarksville area let me know and we will take you out on our boat. We fish several nights a week and absolutely slaughter them. It's slow this time of year but we are still getting some.

rukiddin

I will bowfish 3-4 times a week starting here in the next month. Bowfishin is one of those things, you can spend very little and have a great time....or you can spend a lot and have an awesome time!
When I lived in NC, we shot excusively at night, but when I moved to TN, I went back to daytime shooting since I did not have a generator.

The best tool I have found for new waters is Google earth. Look for shallow banks and flats, and just use the trolling motor to ease along the shallows. Once it gets warm and stays warm, you have no problem finding carp in the shallow areas. A pair of polarized glasses are very helpful for daytime shooting also. If I did'nt live on the other side of the state, I would say your welcome to go with me everytime. We will average 50-75 on most daytime trips shooting 4-5 hours.

spitndrum

shelbydeer said:
have someone take you and go learen from them

Ya I'm not mush help out your way but Michael can help you our he is from the memphis area, you just have to go and learn to shoot it takes most ppl a few trips to even hit a fish :Rule of Thumb if you think your low enough aim about 6 inches lower lol, it will come along naturally. I use a release with my bow and my buddy uses fingers, I tried shooting fingers but never shot more accurate until I picked up a release and started to shoot with it. To each is his own, I love it and can't wait for it to warm up so we can go find some, we generally know where they will be each year. Troll along the shallow flats when water temps are up and look for muddy spots with a big TAIL in it lol they are tailing and spawning. Polarized sunglasses ARE A MUST!

mossyhorns300

spitndrum said:
shelbydeer said:
have someone take you and go learen from them

Ya I'm not mush help out your way but Michael can help you our he is from the memphis area, you just have to go and learn to shoot it takes most ppl a few trips to even hit a fish :Rule of Thumb if you think your low enough aim about 6 inches lower lol, it will come along naturally. I use a release with my bow and my buddy uses fingers, I tried shooting fingers but never shot more accurate until I picked up a release and started to shoot with it. To each is his own, I love it and can't wait for it to warm up so we can go find some, we generally know where they will be each year. Troll along the shallow flats when water temps are up and look for muddy spots with a big TAIL in it lol they are tailing and spawning. Polarized sunglasses ARE A MUST!

I agree with this post 100%! You're welcome with us anytime. I use a release but my buddy shoots fingers. Spit is dead on in my opinion. Lol

Latest posts