Bolt+Broadhead set-up

Mescalero

My crossbow is rated up to 405 FPS. For my bolt and broadhead set up, I'm thinking of shooting a 290 grain bolt with 125 grain broadhead. Should give me 415 grains total. Enough for TN deer?

I plan to shoot fixed blade and probably going with G5 Montec or Magnus Stinger. 125 gr.

Rakkin6

Yeah with it rated at 405 with a 415 grain arrow it will probably be shooting a out 375-385 fps. The listed speed is usually with the lightest arrow the company offers. I would say you might be able to get away with some more weight if you wanted to. My Xbow is rated at 410 and with a 445 grain arrow shots at 385 fps. But if you stay at 415 that should be plenty for deer. A word of advice at high speeds out of a crossbow fixed blade broadheads tend to be a little more erratic than mechanicals. I shoot Swat and Grim Reaper out of my crossbow with pretty much field point accuracy. The best flying fixed blades I have found are the Ramcat Hydroshock Crossbow broadheads.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
The arrows I shoot in my Boss 405 are 370 grains when tipped with a 100 grain broadhead. I'll be using Grim Reapers since that is what I already have. With what I have seen from shooting the bow at bag targets at the archery range, it is more than enough for deer, and probably more than enough for any critter in North America.

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Stick with fixed blades. You can thank me later. The Magnus Stingers are great and come with lifetime warranty if you choose to use it. If you have quality xbow and quality bolts you will have no problems. But be sure to practice shooting with the broadheads along with sighting score in with them.
I shoot NAP Spitfires one season and decided to swap over to fixed after seeing the performance in action. Huge difference. I'm not a professional archer and do miss POI on occasion and then you add in a living animal that may jump,duck,move....things happen. I do feel like I happen mechanical broadhead failure at least once that 1st season. It was a sick feeling that I had to deal with. Not anymore.
One last thing....be sure to sharpen your broadheads before going afield know matter what you decide on going with. Good luck with your choice and your season. Just my 2 cents.