Bobcats

larry ipock

Stu":38cmx8yy said:
I see a few every year from my stand. This year i watched 10 turkeys chase after a young bobcat right past my stand. The cat didnt seem very alarmed but it was something to see
40be2f79a3fd421fc40daa1a3e5c2e18.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

the cat was probably embarrassed! :lol:

Jmed

Every where I go I see bobcats. I hunt W. KY and I saw 3 this year. My Putnam Co. property is loaded with them. We see multiples every year. I am currently trapping a property in Bradley Co. that is loaded with cats. We have a lot more than most people think.

DaveB

Honest I like hunting in a forest that has other predators. Red Tail hawks, Great big Owls, Bobcats, yep, I like seeing them in the forest and no matter the state of the laws, I would never take one.

Yes, the Bobcat probably is hard on the turkey population. A ground nesting bird that cannot swim or fly for several more months has no place to hide when something that wants to eat him arrives on the scene.

I had one stalk me once....it was a fawn bleat call....when he realized he'd been fooled he turned and departed. Kinda gave me a cold chill for a second or two.

I love seeing them meandering through the forest.

Smo

Here's a couple of older pics, I usually see one a year on most years.

0 this year. Cats are bird hunters and play heck with the turkey population.

Last year I had a young one walk down the middle of one of my plots just before dark.

It was carrying a freshly killed gray squirrel in it's mouth.

WGI_0314_Bob_cat_2.jpg

PICT0106.jpg

I got plenty of these Guys too...

2_Fox_2016.jpg

Winchester

I too see them on occasion and get trail cam pics every year. I killed one and had it mounted about 15 yrs ago and have chosen to simply enjoy watching them ever since. It has paid off as I watched one catch a squirrel in Illinois a few yrs back. I love watching them move through the woods as they appear to be the ultimate silent predator.

Mike Belt

larry said that cat looked embarrassed. I don't know if he was joking or not but I do know that I've seen several over the years that for lack of a better description, were embarrassed when they discovered that they'd walked right in on top of a hunter and were at point blank range. They generally sit there and for all the world, it looks like they're thinking to themselves ut-oh, now what do I do before they sheepishly sulk away.

ZachMarkus

I usually see a couple while deer hunting every year, I never shoot them though because I enjoy watching them. I probably should because they are hell on turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smo

ZachMarkus":3r7bq9zw said:
I usually see a couple while deer hunting every year, I never shoot them though because I enjoy watching them. I probably should because they are hell on turkeys.

Along with a bunch of nest raiders, Raccoons,Opossums,yotes,fox and such.

They will all eat a Mans chickens too..... :livid:

Am I in trouble?

IMG_3016.png

ZachMarkus

Smo":39rdj3en said:
ZachMarkus":39rdj3en said:

Along with a bunch of nest raiders, Raccoons,Opossums,yotes,fox and such.

I don't shoot foxes either but I don't hold back on the rest of them you mentioned.

DRSJ35

im in east tn.And only once in a while do i see a bobcat or a fox.I wouldnt kill any cause i dont really see the need.And im not sure what the population is.Cause i hardly see any.Both are really awesome to see though.

mike243

Killed a bobcat back in 1998,only the 2nd 1 I had seen with the other being out of season during muzzle loader.It got mounted,doubt I will ever shoot another but don't get between me and 1 lol , wish I could feel the same love for yotes but I wont pass a chance to shoot at 1 of those,deer be danged,killed a lot of deer but i'm low on yote numbers, :tu:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Bobcats are indigenous, a natural part of our ecosystem as much as turkeys. I'd much rather see bobcats while deer hunting than turkeys, as they are much quieter, but I like watching nature in general (and I don't hunt turkeys). I have killed 1 (right around 30lb) and don't plan to kill any more.

Coyotes are invasive and I give them no mercy, although I tend to see fewer, and have had more opportunities to kill bobcats than yotes.

plinker22

I have been very blessed to see lots of bobcats in my years of hinting. I saw 8 bobcats in my 2nd year hunting. That year I killed one bobcat and drew back my bow on another. He was at 5 yards and I chose not to shoot. It did look up at me with that... "what are you?" look.

As several others have said, I don't think I will ever shoot another bobcat (or fox), they are just so beautiful to watch. Yotes get NO free pass.

Hunt 365

I am overrun with them in Madison and Perry County - compared with past. I've killed 2 this year and have many more on trail cam and had another during bow season that got saved with the season date. I'm worried they'll get my turkeys. They're on the list if legal

wobblegobble

I see them often on one of my farms. I have killed 5 but don't shoot them anymore just because it doesn't thrill me any longer.

fairchaser

Andy S.":1svj3ugt said:
I see them occasionally, and pick them up from time to time on my trail cams, however, I do not shoot them. The only way I would kill one is to get it mounted. This is in Fayette and Hardeman counties.

I'm with you Andy. I have two mounted so I won't shoot one anymore. With that said, I haven't seen one in two years.

Latest posts