Boating license?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I can't find my guide and was wondering:

Is there an age limit as to who can operate a boat?
I heard under a certain age you have to have a boating license?

Any help would be appreciated.

catman529

I believe it's a certain date in '89 you must be born before otherwise you need a license. I need to get mine soon

scn

69-9-226. Operation of vessel by persons born after January 1, 1989 -- Exceptions -- Boating safety course certificates -- Violations.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), it is unlawful for any person born after January 1, 1989, to operate any vessel subject to registration on any waters of this state unless the operator:

(1) Has successfully completed a monitored National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; and

(2) Has received a certificate from the Tennessee wildlife resources agency as evidence of successful completion of a monitored NASBLA-approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; or

(3) Is accompanied on the vessel by, and is under the direct supervision of a person who:

(A) Is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is certified as provided in subdivisions (a)(1) and (2); or

(B) Was born on or before January 1, 1989.

(b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) Nonresidents of Tennessee. Nonresidents of Tennessee shall show proof of successful completion of an approved NASBLA course;

(2) Renters of watercraft who have completed a safety orientation, which safety orientation shall be available at the rental location;

(3) Vessels powered by engines of eight and one-half (8.5) horsepower or less;

(4) Persons with operator licenses issued by the United States coast guard; or

(5) Operators of sailboats when under sail alone.

(c) Certificates of completion of boating safety courses required by this section:

(1) Must be in the possession of the boat operator while such boat is in operation;

(2) Shall contain a physical description of the boat operator, including, but not limited to, the operator's address, date of birth, and a unique tracking number;

(3) Shall not expire, but may be revoked by action of an applicable court; and

(4) Shall be issued for a fee of ten dollars ($10.00). Replacement cards shall be issued for a fee of five dollars ($5.00).

(d) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor punished by a fine only and, in addition to the fine, a court may revoke a certificate of completion of a boat safety course. It is unlawful for an owner or person directly in charge of a vessel subject to registration to authorize or permit knowingly such vessel to be operated on the waters of this state in violation of this section. This subsection (d) shall not apply to renters of watercraft.

HISTORY: Acts 2003, ch. 260, � 1; T.C.A. � 69-10-226; Acts 2007, ch. 185, � 14.

Jroberts238

I just found out about the whole boating license deal. I beat it by 357 days!

Might just be because I practically grew up in a bass boat, but if you can't safely operate a boat without having to go to boating school...... you may not need a boat lol.

Latest posts