Boat title

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My son is in the process of buying a boat.
It has no title.
There is zero chance of anything being shady about the deal.
How does one go about getting it registered or get a title?

Crow Terminator

All he will need is a bill of sale to take to his county clerk. Pay taxes on it there, and they'll give you the form for TWRA registration there. He will probably need the previous registration ID number for that particular vessel as well. After the initial visit to the county clerk office, I did everything else through the TWRA app. Had my registration in a week.

moondawg

All he will need is a bill of sale to take to his county clerk. Pay taxes on it there, and they'll give you the form for TWRA registration there. He will probably need the previous registration ID number for that particular vessel as well. After the initial visit to the county clerk office, I did everything else through the TWRA app. Had my registration in a week.
^^^^^This^^^^^ That's what I had to do when I had my jon boat.

WTM

if he has the previous owners registration info the hull id will be on it. if not there should be a tag on the boat. if not the TWRA boating division can assign one, i believe.

M T Pockets 000

I don't know about other counties in Knox county I had to take the bill of sale and the 95 year old seller to a notary. I also had to use the Bill of Sale I got from the clerk in Knox County. They were butt holes about it. I started to just renew the origional owners registration as he was a family member

Yotekiller011

My son is in the process of buying a boat.
It has no title.
There is zero chance of anything being shady about the deal.
How does one go about getting it registered or get a title?
Get a bill of sell and go to the County Clerks office and register it. Its done everyday. Lots of boats have no title.

Sincerely, Dave

7mm08

BTW..... boat ID number is typically pressed or labeled on the stern's hull on the starboard side.

I spent 30 min looking for it one day on an interstate rest stop in NC when I picked it up. I called my insurance guy to cover it. I could see me driving home, wheel falling off and boat going over mountain!! Ha. Luckily it didn't happen.

GATAinTN

Good luck with the county clerk! Every time I've ever dealt with the ones here around Nashville it's been like I was the first person to ever buy a boat. Only one person in there remotely has any idea what to do about boats. You should be able to use their ignorance to your advantage though when they get ready to figure out what you owe on taxes as they have no idea about boat values.

Pilchard

Interesting deal that folks always did in Florida was to turn a boat transaction into three separate bills of sale. Boat, motor, trailer.

You only register boat and trailer so many boats are sold for a small price with overpriced outboards.

Kirk

The best advice I can give you is pay the guy for the boat. Don't bother registering it. Drive it to lake and bring a shot gun. Once the boat is in the water shoot it full of holes and let it sink. Wave goodbye to it as it sinks. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Anyway...........................that is what I should have done with the last boat I bought.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The best advice I can give you is pay the guy for the boat. Don't bother registering it. Drive it to lake and bring a shot gun. Once the boat is in the water shoot it full of holes and let it sink. Wave goodbye to it as it sinks. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Anyway...........................that is what I should have done with the last boat I bought.
LOL see my post above about the call I just got.

NAjoe

Man, yall are lucky. In bammer, they require a previous registration receipt or bos from dealer if brand new. My oldest bought a duck boat from someone in mississippi a couple years ago that had never been registered there (according to him). Tried to register, no joy. Contacted the dealership and they "tried" to get me an original bos, but never did. I ain't sayin how we got it registered. But i'm thinking now would be a good time for other son to take to school with him and get a tenn registration!

Latest posts