Boat lights ?

hammer33

It is my understanding that using "headlights" on a boat while underway is a violation subject to citation. True or false?
ex. You have an LED light bar installed on your boat and you use it during hours of darkness while running to illuminate markers, debris in the water, logs etc...
1. What is the rationale behind this being illegal? Is it a hold over from some Coast Guard regulation?
2. What is the chance that this rule could be changed?

Logic says that it is far safer to have the water in front of you well illuminated when at running speeds than to have the minimal illumination of navigation lights only.
Thanks.

scn

The light bars over power the red and green running light that are used to tell the direction of the boat. IMO, they are superior to those lights.

But, they also, if bright enough, can blind or hinder night vision for oncoming boats. It can be a major problem in restricted passages.

I would guess the odds are between slim and none for it being changed.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
The light bars over power the red and green running light that are used to tell the direction of the boat. IMO, they are superior to those lights.

But, they also, if bright enough, can blind or hinder night vision for oncoming boats. It can be a major problem in restricted passages.

I would guess the odds are between slim and none for it being changed.

So what do they recommend waterfowlers do at 5:00am in the dead of winter to see sunken logs?

hammer33

I guess the rationale is that light bars are like the new Hi intensity headlights on cars ?

hammer33

Last follow up question. So hand held spotlights are ok, but not permanently mounted lights?

Pilchard

Get you one of these... Only $4,500: https://www.flir.com/marine/thermal-vision/

In seriousness though, the light bar is dangerous to others who may be blinded by it. Hand held spotlights are OK by Coast Guard standards from my understanding.

Personally, in Florida, where I did a lot of night fishing, I would run anywhere without the help of a light but I knew the water well and floating debris was not a normal issue. I did however tear off my lower unit on a brand new outboard by hitting the root ball of a palm tree at 60 MPH after Hurricane Charlie came through Boca Grande. That was in broad daylight though.

jlanecr500

TWRA enforces Coast Guard regulations.
I witnessed some fellow fishermen nearly lose their lives last Friday night. I picked the responding officers' brain and did a while lot of reading this week. SCN is right, only red and green navigation lights up front. I'm sure it's OK to use a spot light while locating land but don't use it as a headlight/running light.
I've decided to add extra navigation lights in the form of 12 inch long green and red led strip lights to increase visibility from the front. In the rear and rear sides I am adding the same strip lights in white. My all-round light will have a 9 inch cake pan upside down on the mast with the same white strip lights around its circumference. 1 foot above that will be another pan with red strip lights. It appears that while fishing, the coast guard allows a red all-round light over a white one.

WTM

TWRA enforces Coast Guard regulations.
I witnessed some fellow fishermen nearly lose their lives last Friday night. I picked the responding officers' brain and did a while lot of reading this week. SCN is right, only red and green navigation lights up front. I'm sure it's OK to use a spot light while locating land but don't use it as a headlight/running light.
I've decided to add extra navigation lights in the form of 12 inch long green and red led strip lights to increase visibility from the front. In the rear and rear sides I am adding the same strip lights in white. My all-round light will have a 9 inch cake pan upside down on the mast with the same white strip lights around its circumference. 1 foot above that will be another pan with red strip lights. It appears that while fishing, the coast guard allows a red all-round light over a white one.
how are you doing the red over white? ive been trying for years to find a coast guard approved red light to mount above my all around but havent found one.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Oh Lord, Im violating when im working my decoys.
Yep. LOL
Reading this thread cracks me up. I think about the boat ramps during duck season. ESPECIALLY at Reelfoot where they navigate by the far treeline that you can't see if you have ANY lights on. :D

Latest posts