Blackened Seasoning for Fish

TX300mag

Can anyone recommend a great blackening seasoning for fish-either a recipe or a shelf spice. I like heat, but can always add extra cayenne.

Farmin68 and I found a good one, but I'm having a hard time finding it other than buying wholesale.

TAFKAP

TX300mag":rzd2kzsj said:
Can anyone recommend a great blackening seasoning for fish-either a recipe or a shelf spice. I like heat, but can always add extra cayenne.

Farmin68 and I found a good one, but I'm having a hard time finding it other than buying wholesale.

I would start with Paul Prudhomme's blackened spices for blackening. If that's hard to find, I've had good success in the past with Zatarain's blackening seasoning as well. It's not tremendously difficult to mix your own, either. I'm not aware of anything off-the-wall in there.

TX300mag

After looking at all of the larger grocery stores, I happened to find Zatarain's this morning at the independent grocery store that's closest to my house. I'm gonna try it tonight on some fish-looking forward to it.

I saw Prudhomme's on Amazon. If I'm not satisfied with Zatarain's or a locally made seasoning I found at a meat market yesterday I'll order some Prudhomme's.

Have you had any experience with Monarch made by US Foodservice? I can't find anywhere to order it.

JimFromTN

Emeril's Essence Seasoning blend is pretty good. I like Prudhomme's but its pretty expensive for what you get. You can pull up Emeril's recipe online. I usually cut back on the salt a bit when following blackening spice recipes.

TAFKAP

JimFromTN":bepez0aw said:
Emeril's Essence Seasoning blend is pretty good. I like Prudhomme's but its pretty expensive for what you get. You can pull up Emeril's recipe online. I usually cut back on the salt a bit when following blackening spice recipes.

This is what I'd do......Prudhomme's stuff is never in a container bigger than a little salt shaker, and it'll probably run you $5 or so, but it's "the original". Emeril's looks pretty straightforward, though.

TX300mag

I blackened some deer heart with the local one made in Houston this morning. Although it's not as salty as Zatarain's, I still had to go light on the seasoning. I liked it, but still too salty.

wildb1

Cajun's Choice Blackened seasoning is the best I have found! After experimenting with many "blackened seasonings" and eating way too much too salty food we finally found Cajuns choice. If you can't find it at your local supermarket, usually back by the butcher, you can order online through many carriers.

Give it a try, I have been using it for 10 years now and won't try anything else.

I don't know if you know or not but manufacturers list their ingredients in order of percentages. If salt is listed first, that is the main ingredient of the seasoning.

TboneD

TX300mag":33slsb2j said:
I blackened some deer heart with the local one made in Houston this morning. Although it's not as salty as Zatarain's, I still had to go light on the seasoning. I liked it, but still too salty.

I have no idea why blackened fish seasoning is usually so salty, but it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TboneD

wildb1":7ytci25p said:
Cajun's Choice Blackened seasoning is the best I have found! After experimenting with many "blackened seasonings" and eating way too much too salty food we finally found Cajuns choice. If you can't find it at your local supermarket, usually back by the butcher, you can order online through many carriers.

Give it a try, I have been using it for 10 years now and won't try anything else.

I don't know if you know or not but manufacturers list their ingredients in order of percentages. If salt is listed first, that is the main ingredient of the seasoning.

We'll look for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX300mag

wildb1":2z6nvduu said:

Thanks!

fishboy1

Here is one I have enjoyed

1 TB Paprika
2-1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Onion Powder
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Cayenne pepper
3/4 Tsp White Pepper
3/4 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1/2 Tsp Oregano

Adjust amounts to suit your tastes/heat level. This has good heat with good flavor.

fishboy1

Do this OUTSIDE !

Heat heavy cast iron skillet over high heat until water dances and metal is just starting to smoke.

Have fillets ready at hand, seasoned and prepped. Drop a big hunk of butter into the pan and smear around just enough to coat. It will make a LOT of smoke. Immediately place seasoned fillet on the butter. Blacken for 1-3 minutes depending on thickness. Using a stiff spatula, scrape/remove the fillet, drop another hunk of butter into the pan and blacken the other side of the fillet. Mmmmmmm. good !

Latest posts