Blackberry's

buckaroo

I'm going to order some blackberry's to plant in garden, for homemade wine and eating. I am going to reserve one row for them, put down weed-x, mulch, stake and use some aluminum wire for a tressel. Does all this sound right? How would you do it?

Trapper John

Sounds right. They may or may not have fruit this year. Sometimes they freak out a little after being re-planted. Keep them watered and be prepared to fight off birds.

I've been meaning to put out a couple of Arapaho plants for awhile. They make excellent wine and jam.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I have a row of the thornless blackberries. They bear pretty heavy and are a joy to pick without the dang thorns. Be prepared, they are usually very sour compared to wild berries.

Chapman

They probably won't have much growth to bear on this year. Next year you will get berries on this years growth. You need to prune them every year to get rid of the canes that fruited and then die. If you put down weed blocker you need to leave room for the new growth that will come out of the base of the plant.

Latest posts