Birds on the Foothills WMA

khawk

I live pretty close to the foothills wma in blount co. Does anyone know what the turkey hunting is like over there? I know it is a walk in only wma which discourages deer hunters but what about the turkeys?

khawk

captain hook said:
Very few, the habitat is pretty poor for them and the surrounding private land seems to hold alot more birds.

By saying poor, do you mean not enough fields. I have hunted mountain turkeys before in NC and it can be tough.

Buzzard Breath

khawk said:
I know it is a walk in only wma which discourages deer hunters but what about the turkeys?
It doesn't discourage the turkey hunters. There is an insane amount of hunters that turkey hunt there. Captain hook nailed it with the private property. Hunt the edges of it and try to call in the birds off private property. The resident birds become very call shy and non-vocal after opening day. Set-up on a travel route, bring your lunch, a book, ipod, or anything to keep you in one place all day. Only call when you see a gobbler that isn't coming towards you, and pray it doesn't gobble. A gobble will bring every hunter that hears it running.

cbcs1987

khawk said:
captain hook said:
Very few, the habitat is pretty poor for them and the surrounding private land seems to hold alot more birds.

By saying poor, do you mean not enough fields. I have hunted mountain turkeys before in NC and it can be tough.
You said it there.

That is the only kind of turkey I have ever hunted. If you can kill a mountain turkey you can kill any. The land I hunt is somewhat close to the wma but way back in the woods. In the 10 years I hunted it only heard a gobble once or twice. Mountain birds sneek up, and aren't vocal. You gotta want one pretty bad to get one

cbcs1987

captain hook said:
Mountain birds can be vocal or non-vocal just depends on the birds. There is no set rules no matter where you hunt. I have heard mtn. birds blow their guts out and I have had them sneak in.

The only thing which makes a mtn bird tough is the terrain, other then that they are actually quite easy.
I guess it does just depend on the bird like you said. Cuz where I hunt they for the most part never make noise. And they sure ain't easy. I've hunted here in east tn, mid tn, and mid- georgia and the birds here are by far the smartest and toughest (the birds i hunt, anyway)

Latest posts