Big waves

TRIGGER

I have fished KY lake quite a few times in big water but Friday night the lake got big faster than I ever thought possible. Around 1:00am I ran up the lake to a spot just inside a bay. As I set the boat down the wind picked up to a point we couldn't even cast into it. Tried 3 times that resulted in a back lash so I told my partner (first time I have ever fished with him) it's time to go. Put the boat on plane and as soon as we got out of the mouth took two waves over the front so I slowed to get in sync with the waves. In the matter of 5-8 minutes the lake went from barely a ripple to 5 footers that were closer together than I have ever seen. Had to ride with the bow pointed straight in the sky and my partner hanging over the side with a spotlight to make sure it was clear ahead of us. Fell off the front side of a few and the wave behind us would shove my 20' ranger under the next wave. My partner was FREAKING out on me lol. I was never really concerned but was definitely paying close attention to what was going on. Be careful out there.
Anyone that is familiar with the Danville boat ramp the waves were coming over the riprap jetties that protect the boat dock and ramp making it real fun to load the boat.

Spurhunter

I fished up around Mansard Island a few weeks ago. Around 9:30 the wind came up out of nowhere. It blew big tree limbs down, etc. It got pretty bad. I was only a 1/2 mile from the ramp. Luckily when I got close a fellow fisherman ran down the dock and told me to throw him my keys and he'd back my trailer in. My buddy that lives at Antioch Harbor had told me about how that happens sometimes. I'm just glad I didn't have to cross the big lake.

TNReb

I'm glad the lakes near hear don't get like that.

We had a club tournament Friday night from 7pm-3am. Storm rolled in right at 7. I stayed in the marina until about 8. Fished from 8-8:30 and another rolled in. Got under a bridge to get out of the lightning.

It finally let up about 9:30 and I fished until 2. Radar showed a BIG storm rolling in, so I put it on the trailer and left.

gasman

Gotta tell that story now.
Me and @cbhunter were going fishing one day last spring. @RUGER says, "go fish the rocks at Danville, they been wearing the cats out up there". So I met cb that morning with high hopes of loading my boat up with cats.... Wrong. Those 5'-6' swells were happening that day also. Swamped my 18-60 G3. Top it all off, we didn't get a bite. That was the first time and last time I've been skunked in that boat.

cbhunter

Me and @cbhunter were going fishing one day last spring. @RUGER says, "go fish the rocks at Danville, they been wearing the cats out up there". So I met cb that morning with high hopes of loading my boat up with cats.... Wrong. Those 5'-6' swells were happening that day also. Swamped my 18-60 G3. Top it all off, we didn't get a bite. That was the first time and last time I've been skunked in that boat.
I noticed you haven't invited me since 🤷‍♂️

WTM

It went from 3-4 mph to 50 in one big gust and stayed that way until we were off the water. Some pour guy had his boat tied off in the slip. I was feeling bad for him because it was getting tossed around pretty good.
it can come up quick. i was coming out of buchannon when a quick storm hit out of the south. 3 footers but wasnt too bad. ran 30mph over the tops of them until i got past the power lines in big sandy.

now i use a handheld marine radio and three weather apps with alerts set.

Smo

The two most dangerous spots I've encountered other than near the dams along the Tn river are the one mentioned at Danville, the other being on Pickwick near Waterloo..

High winds and Summer storms blow up quickly along the river….

Strong NW winds are very dangerous in both areas…

Latest posts