Big brute scrape sequence

Ski

I got faith in you. No advice to offer because I don't have much experience with bucks that old. Not sure anybody does. Bucks that old have to be nearly rare as diamonds. If a mature buck is a different animal than young buck, then a senior buck is different even yet. If you get him please share tactics and details about his behavior. The few I've been fortunate enough to hunt weren't anything like other deer.

fairchaser

I got faith in you. No advice to offer because I don't have much experience with bucks that old. Not sure anybody does. Bucks that old have to be nearly rare as diamonds. If a mature buck is a different animal than young buck, then a senior buck is different even yet. If you get him please share tactics and details about his behavior. The few I've been fortunate enough to hunt weren't anything like other deer.
Will do Ski. I've got a camera out now and will likely wait until he's back in the area maybe with a doe before I hunt him. I don't want to just hunt the area hoping he'll come by until I've got intel that he's back. The only tactic I have is to sneak in down wind of his trail and climb a tree on a day I know he's working the area. I might blind call or rattle only if I can see well my downwind side in case he wants to sneak around. You only get one chance at a mature buck.

1984dog

He is built like a tank. It is kind of hard to say when they get >4.5 years old because you simply do not know the body mass loss they experience during the rut. The deer is thick all over but does not show a sagging belly/beer gut like a typical 5.5+ deer. The original poster indicated this was "late season" so it is possible that he has not ate well during the rut and burned off that beer gut. He is definitely >4.5 year old. He would be having acute lead poisoning at my place.