Big Bear needs to go.

GreeneGriz

Since getting pics of this bear on the opening weekend of turkey season he has been making his rounds and coming thru the farm about every 3-4 days.
Last night he killed a newborn calf we had just tagged the day before and we believe he is responsible for killing 3-4 more on the neighboring farm.
People who say bears are only a problem if you purposely feed them are batcrap crazy.
The morons in Nashville and the NPS who started the restocking of these in the plateau 2-3 decades ago should be held accountable for every penny of destruction they cause. They blatantly lied to get the well wishes of the general public on their restocking program.
This is the biggest of the 3-4 different beer we have traveling thru the property. They have virtually zero fear of humans. They will follow you while you hunt.

Attachments

• 17216423-5B14-4325-BA00-DDFA179533E0.jpeg
    17216423-5B14-4325-BA00-DDFA179533E0.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 6EB68467-62F1-43C4-9C1F-6950C8B68754.jpeg
    6EB68467-62F1-43C4-9C1F-6950C8B68754.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 00D2AAB0-A2F2-404E-B6BC-7E5910D9CE55.jpeg
    00D2AAB0-A2F2-404E-B6BC-7E5910D9CE55.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 240

GreeneGriz

That's a big boy. I'd love to put an arrow in one some day! Hope you can eliminate the problem and cut your financial losses due to him…
I've tried to kill one with my crossbow for several seasons, but as soon as the acorns come in right before bow season opens, they disappear back on the mountain and patterning them is like throwing darts blindfolded.

A FMJ round from a 556 or 308 should do the trick nicely. This way they run off and die somewheres else.
(To hell with the agencies restocking BS.)
The key word is restocking. That means they are native to the area. Why would you not want them where God put them originally? I understand if they were not native.

GreeneGriz

The key word is restocking. That means they are native to the area. Why would you not want them where God put them originally? I understand if they were not native.
The area they restocked them in wasn't the smokies or Cherokee….It was a relatively small area. There was no responsible sound reason to "restock" bear in this area.
The reason we don't want them around is pretty simple. They are destructive. They are hurting our turkey and deer populations. We can't hunt them effectively enough to control the population or instill fear of man into them.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
The area they restocked them in wasn't the smokies or Cherokee….It was a relatively small area. There was no responsible sound reason to "restock" bear in this area.
The reason we don't want them around is pretty simple. They are destructive. They are hurting our turkey and deer populations. We can't hunt them effectively enough to control the population or instill fear of man into them.
Parts of Louisiana are having big time bear problems now.

GreeneGriz

Wolves are "native" too. They restocked them up north and out west and they've decimated elk herds without feeding on them and people in parts of Michigan and Wisconsin have to put chain link cages around bus stops to protect their kids.
The argument "they're native, so they belong here" don't fly.

GreeneGriz

That's what I was referring to, this one problem critter. Those cattle are expensive to replace.
There is way more than one problem. Several locals have posted pics and videos of beer attacking their pets in their kennels, tearing down vinyl fencing (that was a funny video) and harassing people to the point they can't even have a garden or sit in their yards and enjoy being outside because of the bear lurking around.

GreeneGriz

And to clear something up..:: I live in Extreme East Tennessee. I have bear everywhere I hunt. I see them regularly….. but not like I do when I hunt and visit family up on the Plateau.
We've seen 3-5 mature bear running together multiple times up there while driving to and from.
They need to allow a week long hound hunting season and/or allow some to be taken during muzzleloader or gun season to help put some fear into them and bring the population down more.

UCStandSitter

And to clear something up..:: I live in Extreme East Tennessee. I have bear everywhere I hunt. I see them regularly….. but not like I do when I hunt and visit family up on the Plateau.
We've seen 3-5 mature bear running together multiple times up there while driving to and from.
They need to allow a week long hound hunting season and/or allow some to be taken during muzzleloader or gun season to help put some fear into them and bring the population down more.
We had one climbing through dumpsters in town here in Cookeville not long ago. Not ideal... I've seen them as far west as Carthage before on the side of 40.

Mattt

Even the Indians wanted rid of bears, wolves etc. we can't co exist in the same environment unless one population or the other decreases drastically.

redblood

I agree. Historically black bears posed a very low risk to humans and beautiful creatures. I care nothing about hunting them, but Im sure their are lots of people who enjoy hunting them