Best Scope

BAMA BOW MERKER

What is the best scope under $500 in your opinion? Will be purchasing a new scope in the next month for my new 7mm rem mag. I'm leaning toward Nikon's Monarch 4-16 x 50mm. Any reviews of this scope or suggestions of others welcome.

JCDEERMAN

I like the Nikons and they have a lifetime warranty. I bought a Bushnell $79.99 scope a couple years ago before Bone Collector put their name on it and the price jumped up. It is the best scope I have ever had. It's on my muzzy

redblood

leupold vx3. for that gun i would get the 3.5-10x40. they will be right at 500.00 but the best warranty and customer service in the biz. they also have the best resale by far. they are sleek,attractive light and trim. you will notice they are used in advertisments for attractive rifles. there is a reason for that,

tickweed

redblood said:
leupold vx3. for that gun i would get the 3.5-10x40. they will be right at 500.00 but the best warranty and customer service in the biz. they also have the best resale by far. they are sleek,attractive light and trim. you will notice they are used in advertisments for attractive rifles. there is a reason for that,
well said.

Vermin93

Depends how far you intend to shoot. 4-16x50 is a LOT of magnification for whitetail deer hunting. I would look at one of the 2-10x40's out there, like the Minox ZA-5. The 2x magnification on the low-end is great for deep woods and thicket hunting and the 10x magnification on the high-end will easily handle any open ground hunting that Tennessee or most places will offer you.

For this sale price ($300) on a 2-10x40 you will not find a better value in a quality 5x magnification scope.

Minox ZA-5 2-10x40

If you want the big 50mm objective then you can pay an extra $100 for the 2-10x50mm

Minox ZA-5 2-10x50

If you really want seriously big time magnification then this 3-15x42 can't be beat at this price of $350.

Minox ZA-5 3-15x42

Or, if you really want a quality scope with big time magnification, side focus, and a big objective, then you can get this 3x15x50 bad boy with an illuminated standard duplex reticle for $500 as an open box special.

Minox ZA-5 3-15x50 w/Side Focus

The Minox scopes are engineered in Germany, built with Schott glass (Schott is owned by Zeiss), and assembled right here in the USA. You will not find a better value under $500.

Or, you could pay $530 for a Leupold 4.5-14x40 and get similar quality, the same warranty and an inferior magnification range for quite a bit more money out of your pocket.

Good scope shopping to you!

Rubberduck270

Listen to Vermin93, ditch big magnification for quality glass. I've got a 4-16x50 Monarch on a 300 Win Mag but I put it together as an elk/mule deer gun. That much magnification is generally not needed for the average Tennesee whitetail hunt.

VX3, Monarch or Zeiss are all good options.

Headhunter

In my experience, I would not use Nikon if you gave one to me. I would sell it to the next "sucker". Horrible customer service and a poor product, again IMO. Leupold makes great optics and their customer service is first rate. My comparisons as far as quality is concerned have been done watching LOTS of game in low light to extreme low light conditions and Nikon makes a terrible product, I would hunt with Burris Fullfield II before Nikon.

With that said the majority of my hunting and my most used guns have Kahles Helia CL's on them. Kahles makes some pretty good optics. Probably won't get Kahles for under $500 but it will last yours, your kids and grandkids lifetimes and they have great customer service (that is what I hear, never had to use it).

BAMA BOW MERKER

Thanks guys. I'll look into Zeiss before I make the final descision. I will be using this gun primarily here for whitetail, but I also making a trip to Wyoming for mule deer and antelope this Oct. I hopefully will get to go again, that's why I wanted the larger magnification.

Urban_Hunter

^^^^
Weird. Never seen someone bash a Nikon that actually has a quality one, such as a Monarch. I have that exact same scope on a 7mag and love it. I agree you don't NEED that magnification for white tail here, but that is why you are looking at variable power right? 4 power isn't too much... and is only slightly more than 3 power... which is most common (3-9). I wanted to stretch mine out at the range is why I went with the 4-16. I also have a Leopold VXIII on my Muzzle Loader and a Bushnell Elite 3200 on another rifle. My opinion, is dollar for dollar, the Busnell Elite is the most bang for the buck, but I got the Monarch on sale and have no regrets. It is crystal clear and actually in my opinion brighter than my VXIII, my only complaint would be that the cross hair is a little thick. (I went with the MIL-DOT on mine, as stated, it was on sale)

Winchester

Leupold is best choice available dollar for dollar ! Better glass is definitely out there but its at a high price. I will agree the Nikons are overpriced and overrated!

W.Seay

This is easy! Zeiss conquest!!!!! I've owned them all and the zeiss blows the leupolds and monarchs in the same price range out of the water!! No brainer!

Bone Collector

W.Seay said:
This is easy! Zeiss conquest!!!!! I've owned them all and the zeiss blows the leupolds and monarchs in the same price range out of the water!! No brainer!

I said both Zeiss and Leupold VX3, but I have both and like the Zeiss better. both work great in low light though and that is really where you separate the boys form the men so to speak...

BSK

Winchester said:
Leupold is best choice available dollar for dollar ! Better glass is definitely out there but its at a high price. I will agree the Nikons are overpriced and overrated!

Completely disagree (but you already know that).

That said, I am looking at getting a Leupold, simply because of the low magnifications offered.

Nealmeally

Winchester said:

Agree with all of it. Leupold binos and scope hands down!... Never liked Nikon anything.

Latest posts