Best lightweight compact rifle ???

Tenn.Guy

I am piggy backing an earlier thread.
Im not making any quick purchases and just keeping my eyes open for a deal.

7mm-08 only

Comparing...
Remington Mountain Rifle old vs new model
Rem Model 7
Tikka T3 lite stainless
Savage Lightweight Hunter - I really like the looks of this gun online.

My goals: Smooth bolt, nice trigger, and of course accuracy.

Also I would like it to be a rifle worth passing down to my son in the future. Im not sure that the Tikka would meet that requirement?

Thanks!

Rubberduck270

If sheer lightweight is what you're after, a Kimber Montana would be worth looking at. Of the rifles you listed though I'd rank them: 700, Model 7, Tikka and Savage.

There are a TON of parts for a 700 floating around. Model 7's have their fair share but not nearly as many as the 700.

1 good shot

here's a tikka 7mm-08 on gunbroker right now thats listed at 399 plus 20 on the shipping
it's not a compact but that is an awesome deal
the auction number is 447506593
i personally own 2 tikkas a sako and several model 7's and 700s
as well as several other brands and tikka is as good if not better than any of them
not to rush you but there is less than one day left on the auction
and no i am not the one selling the gun

Tenn.Guy

Rubberduck270 said:
If sheer lightweight is what you're after, a Kimber Montana would be worth looking at. Of the rifles you listed though I'd rank them: 700, Model 7, Tikka and Savage.

There are a TON of parts for a 700 floating around. Model 7's have their fair share but not nearly as many as the 700.

Ouch nice gun, out of my price range :D

mr.big

it was up around 1990 when they started making the 7-08 MR if I remember right,,,I like the ones without the Jlock and without the owners manual on the barrel,,other than that I would take any 700 wood stock rifle I ran across,,

Model70Man

I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro. It is most definitely a great shooting gun and is more compact than my Tikka. The Micro is a true short action rifle whereas the Tikka would be a long action rifle chambered for a 7mm-08. Both of these rifles would be great to pass down.

Kimberman

Kimber Montana is about the lightest rig out there unless you want to spend 3 grand and up. Mine is a .308, and shoots great. You don't have to go with a Montana, if you prefer wood, a Kimber 84m Classic is lighter than any of the guns you mentioned. I like Tikkas, but I don't like a short action round in a long action gun for a hunting rifle, it kind of defeats the purpose. I have never seen a Browning A Bolt that wasn't a shooter, I've never owned one, but have shot and been around plenty of them. I'm not a Remmy fan, especially anything made within the last 20 years. IF I were to look at a 700, it would have to be a pre 1990s gun or older, which the 7-08 wasn't made then. There are no flies on a Win 70 either, a stainless featherweight would be a very nice gun to have. Sako rifles are very nice, but I don't know if you are in the mood to spend $1500 bucks or more. Savage rifles shoot well, but they don't have the fit and finish of any of the guns above.

1 good shot

how bout a ruger frontier
6.5 lbs 16.5 barrel
i've got one in a 300wsm with a muzzle brake and the recoil is not bad at all, course i'll never hear again- just kidding even with hearing protection it is awful

Model70Man

mr.big said:
a win 70 Featherweight is not a light rifle IMO,,mine in 270 WSM is as heavy as a long action 700

All M70 WSM Featherweight's are not true Featherweights. They have Sporter weight 24 inch barrels with Featherweight stocks. A M70 Featherweight chambered in 7mm-08 would be significantly lighter because the barrel will be a true Featherweight contour at 20 or 22 inches depending on if you have the compact model or not.

MUP

1 good shot said:
here's a tikka 7mm-08 on gunbroker right now thats listed at 399 plus 20 on the shipping
it's not a compact but that is an awesome deal
the auction number is 447506593
i personally own 2 tikkas a sako and several model 7's and 700s
as well as several other brands and tikka is as good if not better than any of them
not to rush you but there is less than one day left on the auction
and no i am not the one selling the gun

Wow. Super deal right there!

megalomaniac

I was going to suggest one of the older used Remington titaniums.... I have one that weighs just a hair over 5 lbs with an aftermarket lightweight bolt shroud.... well under 1" gun

But I just checked gunbroker... cheapest one I found was for $1900.

Considering I bought mine used a few years ago for $900... I just might have to sale mine :)

But the bolt isn't butter smooth since it is fluted to save additional weight. But honestly, I've never had to even cycle the bolt in a hunting situation... everything has died on the first shot and no need for a followup

Latest posts