Best life jackets

What's the best life jackets to buy traditional, the inflatable vest, or the Fanny pack style? What does everyone recommend. Want something comfortable enough you will wear it. Also what's best one for a 9 year old. Want something he will be able to wear and hopefully not complain to bad about being uncomfortable or hot.

Redfox

During warm months, I would recommend the inflatable type with all the safety features and not just manual inflation. They do require additional maintenance and care. I wear traditional styles but remove them when I shut the boat down. You maybe aware but kids have to be 16 years old to wear any of the inflatable type life jackets.

Tenntrapper

Also. An inflatable only counts as a life jacket, in the boat, while it's being worn. If you get checked by twra,etc while not wearing it, it will NOT count as a life jacket.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Also. An inflatable only counts as a life jacket, in the boat, while it's being worn. If you get checked by twra,etc while not wearing it, it will NOT count as a life jacket.
I very well could be wrong but I don't think this applies to ALL inflatables.
Can't remember the type numbers and what have you though.
Pretty sure it's just the ones that go around your waist that must be worn at all times.

Tenntrapper

Pretty sure it's just the ones that go around your waist that must be worn at all times.
You may be correct..Im not sure. I keep enough regular kind in the boat just in case, but then wear the fanny pack kind... usually in the winter.

Tenntrapper

Here ya go....type V has to be worn. What is a type V? Don't know.
Screenshot_20221218-101233__01.jpg

Sam Davis

Inflatable life jackets are not recommended for people who can't swim. A friend of mine who is a game warden pulled a man who drowned out of center hill lake because his didn't inflate. His family said he couldn't swim. I can't swim so I don't wear them.
We bought my sons the bass pro shop life jackets with the mesh on the top part to wear . They are not to terribly hot in the summer. I like mustang life jackets the best.
Best to be safe and wear one.

WTM

they make type 1,2,3 inflatables but you have to look at the tag if it has "must wear to be compliant" then it doesnt count as carriage.

when i was a kid i had to wear one of thesea tupe 1, if i whined about it i got a whooping or i didnt go on the boat. my kids where the same and my grandkids will wear the same.

6B1738F0-FDAF-4471-98C0-F21B4B21A1C9.png

7mm08

Forgive my ignorance but don't you have to pull something on the inflatables before they deploy? Maybe it's just some but the problem is if you get knocked out while going overboard it's not gonna work. Correct me if I'm way off on them.
There are auto ones that deploy when you fall overboard and are unconscious. They have a pull chord as well.

Some have reported the autos going off in heavy rains too….

scn

The best life jacket is one that you will wear.

It can be the best in the world, but isn't going to much good if it is shut up in a hatch when you hit the water. Most of the inflatables will actually float you higher than the stearns vest types. But, again, whatever is comfortable enough to wear where it is on your person when you hit the water.

Canyonfish

Forgive my ignorance but don't you have to pull something on the inflatables before they deploy? Maybe it's just some but the problem is if you get knocked out while going overboard it's not gonna work. Correct me if I'm way off on them.
The pull cord is for backup to manually deploy. Most deploy automatically when coming in contact with water either by a swelling pill bobbin or the better hydrostatic inflator. Inflatables are so comfortable, there is no reason not to always wear one. Mustangs make very good ones.