Beginner trapper

Ive hunted for 20 years and finally gonna give trapping a try after deer season is over. My first target for trapping will likely be raccoon. Besides traps, is there any other basic, essential gear or equipment that would be recommended?

Shanman

Honestly there is a ton of equipment out there on the market, best thing you can do is research and try to get more familiar with everything. There's a few questions you need to ask yourself to know which direction to go in.
1) How much time do you have to put into trapping?
2) Are you wanting to just tinker with it or really go after the fur?
3) Do you have access to enough land/water ways to meet your needs?
4) Do you have the garage space or an out building to dedicate for storage, trap prep, fur handling, etc.
5) How much are you willing to spend money wise?

These are just a few things to think about. Best thing you can do is get with TFHA and attend some of their trapper training camps and events, get to know some trappers and ask questions at these events. Find out when they are having a fur sale close to you and go see all the fur and the process, again.....pick some brains. Water trapping for mink, beaver, muskrat, otter, and coon will require different traps and equipment than land trapping for predators. Good way to get familiar with equipment is to send off for some catalogs and just look over them. There's a lot to learn and prepare for, but it is fun and very addictive. DVDs helped me more than anything before I knew any trappers, even the bad ones I learned something from. Matt Jones DVD "After the Catch" is a fantastic fur handling DVD, James Lord has some great DVDs and he traps in West Tn.
Just do your homework first so you spend your money wisely, you don't want a pile of equipment laying over in the corner not be used.
These are just a few thoughts, hope it helps.

TnHoss

If coons are your first choice to start with then I highly suggest buying a few Z traps and bait them with anything from a few mini marshmallows to dry cat food or even dog food. Keep in mind though that coons aren't bringing anything if you plan on selling your hides.

Thanks guys. Im not looking to sell pelts just yet. Ive always wanted to get into trapping and am finally in a spot where I can do some, at least here and there. At this point its more of a fun hobby that supports a hunters lifestyle, and more about manging a piece of property via population control. Trying to make things easier for the wild turkey out there. Ive been told that there are turkeys there or used to be. Though I havent seen or heard any sign of them as yet. What I have seen is several raccoons and plenty of coon sign, hence choosing racoon as my primary target to start with.

Latest posts