Been a year

SpurChaser

How long is too long to start getting a little aggravated with your taxidermist? I dropped off a deer last year in the first week of December and was told I'd get him back around the end of August or beginning of September. Coming up on a year and he's still not done, with no word from the shop doing it either.

This is the first buck I've ever had done so I don't really know what to expect as far as timeline goes. Any advice / words of wisdom?

backyardtndeer

Best advice I could give would be to call him and ask him when he will have it done. Taxidermist I am giving a try this year said his turnaround that he tells people a year, but could be as quick as 6 to 8 months being that I brought my deer in the first week of November. I won't bother him if he's not done in the 6-8 months, but I would probably call him towards October if I haven't heard from him.

The taxidermist I used prior for my 2019 deer said a year, BUT he took nearly 3.5 years. He took in way too many, but he did do a real nice job.

SpurChaser

Some people don't have the money to pay the balance so the taxidermist doesn't use a FIFO first in first out, method but the squeaky wheel method. So far you haven't squeaked.
So I actually visited him at the beginning of October and paid my balance in full. Still haven't heard anything back.. might be time to start squeaking.

SpurChaser

Best advice I could give would be to call him and ask him when he will have it done. Taxidermist I am giving a try this year said his turnaround that he tells people a year, but could be as quick as 6 to 8 months being that I brought my deer in the first week of November. I won't bother him if he's not done in the 6-8 months, but I would probably call him towards October if I haven't heard from him.

The taxidermist I used prior for my 2019 deer said a year, BUT he took nearly 3.5 years. He took in way too many, but he did do a real nice job.
Can't imaging waiting for 3.5 years to get a deer back.. what kept you from going back up there to take it somewhere else?

backyardtndeer

So I actually visited him at the beginning of October and paid my balance in full.
I may be wrong on this and sure someone else will chime in if that's the case, but I honestly don't think that was a good idea. You pay a deposit and don't pay the remainder until you see and approve of the finished work. By paying off the balance you eliminated his incentive to get yours done, since he already has your money. Definitely call him and see where he is at on it.

backyardtndeer

Can't imaging waiting for 3.5 years to get a deer back.. what kept you from going back up there to take it somewhere else?
The long drive there and no guarantees that he would be there. I actually did tell him in a voice mail that I would just come and get my antlers and cape and pay him for what he was out, and take it somewhere else. Prior to that message he wasn't returning my texts or calls. He called me very shortly after leaving the voice mail. He finished it up not long after that.

SpurChaser

I may be wrong on this and sure someone else will chime in if that's the case, but I honestly don't think that was a good idea. You pay a deposit and don't pay the remainder until you see and approve of the finished work. By paying off the balance you eliminated his incentive to get yours done, since he already has your money. Definitely call him and see where he is at on it.

I can understand where you're coming from on that. My idea of doing it that way was to show good faith that he would get it done quicker be seeing that I didn't just drop it off and forget about it. We'll see how it turns out. I'll get it back eventually..

I appreciate the input and perspective

Mcboom

So I actually visited him at the beginning of October and paid my balance in full. Still haven't heard anything back.. might be time to start squeaking.
I'd recommend never paying upfront for anything. A deposit ok but never 💯

DoubleRidge

12 months would be normal in my experience...but after 12 months I wouldn't hesitate to politely touch base...just check in to get a feel where you are in line.

fairchaser

This has always been the case with taxidermists because they are artists and not business people. But technology could solve this problem by sending out notices via email to customers waiting on their mounts.

Often times, after the glory of killing a good buck has worn off, hunters may be less willing to pay off their balance to collect their prize. This is especially true when the wife says it's not hanging in her house.

So, taxidermist wait for the customer to call and beg for their animal before they finish it, thereby assuring final payment.

If customers are given the option to make the final payment guaranteeing delivery of their mount in two weeks, most of them will do so gladly. A notice sent via email to customers giving them a "heads up" would make the whole process more efficient. Pun intended!

Madbowh

How long is too long to start getting a little aggravated with your taxidermist? I dropped off a deer last year in the first week of December and was told I'd get him back around the end of August or beginning of September. Coming up on a year and he's still not done, with no word from the shop doing it either.

This is the first buck I've ever had done so I don't really know what to expect as far as timeline goes. Any advice / words of wisdom?
I'm waiting on a 2021. Reputable guy, sizeable business, good comms, great work. My only worry is price he looks about $150 higher than before.

rem270

A year wait time for a great taxidermist is about spot on. Usually it's 12-16 months from my taxidermist, which is also my uncle. I always get a little anxious once the year mark hits but never bug him about it because I know I'm in line and he's working daily. If someone is waiting 2 years then the taxidermist needs to take in less mounts or step their game up and work more hours. Thanksgiving week when my uncle caped mine out he had gotten 106 mounts in 2 weeks. He said he was fixing to have to turn down business as bad as he hated to because with what he had before that 106 mark and after I figure it was up around 150 mounts. He'll always quit taking mounts in before he makes people wait longer than 12-18 months.

Jcalder

For those in the know, how long does it actually take to mount one. I'm not talking about the drying time, but to cape one out, and get it shaped on a form. I know it takes a couple weeks to dry and you could have several drying at a time.

TN Larry

For those in the know, how long does it actually take to mount one. I'm not talking about the drying time, but to cape one out, and get it shaped on a form. I know it takes a couple weeks to dry and you could have several drying at a time.
The taxidermist I used to use (Robert Williams on Hwy 70 towards Chestnut Mound) told me in his younger days that he could put two out the door per day. That was pulling some long hours. He was older then and said he could do one per day at that time which also included tanning his own hides. I know he did work a lot as I can remember passing there at all times and him in the shop working. We used to stop by when I was younger just to look at the racks.